Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Update- Warm up in the west

us_marine
11 years ago

Since its been warm over here in the west, its time to post a before summer update. Warning alot of pics:

Taken yesterday

Plums are getting big already.

{{gwi:1128421}}

{{gwi:1128423}}

{{gwi:1128425}}

lol washy in the background.

Star Jasemine

{{gwi:1128427}}

{{gwi:1128429}}

It bloomed out today.

Promegranate:

{{gwi:1128430}}

{{gwi:1128431}}

Banana's & Avocado to the right. Avocado also bloomed today.

{{gwi:1128433}}

{{gwi:1128434}}

I believe this is a type of hens & chick?

{{gwi:1128435}}

{{gwi:1128436}}

Interesting flower.

{{gwi:1128438}}

Cherry tree & pink roses.

Cherries

{{gwi:1128440}}

Yellow roses, peach tree I need to plant to the left, and pomegranate two to the right. I removed most of the rose bushes, about 9 of them and 4 giant oleanders as well.

Macadamia nuts- I heard they are frost tender, anyone have experience with them? They survived this years winter.

{{gwi:1128442}}

{{gwi:1128443}}

Orange tree and pecan tree to the left. It randomly sprouted there.

{{gwi:1128444}}

{{gwi:1128446}}

Many flowers and small fruit were knocked off by wind and rain ealier this year but by summer time it will have some nice sized oranges like last year :)

Coconut palm

{{gwi:1128448}}

{{gwi:1128449}}

The spear hasn't even fully opend and it already has another spear coming up :)

- US_Marine

Comments (13)

• earthworm73
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice pics USM. It has been gorgeous for us here in the PNW but all good things must come to an end. We are back to normal temps and rain. However I think the combo of 70's temps the past few days and now rain and cool temps will but some good growth into my garden.

• Central_Cali369
    11 years ago

Nice plants. I grow a lot of the same plants - again, we must be gardening in close proximity haha

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Awesome pics! The bananas look like they are leafing out well and I like all the blooms and succulents! Glad you are finally getting some nice weather there!
    Very cool week here. Temperatures should be at least 10F below average for much of the week. This morning weather.com was forecasting 36F for tomorrow morning! No one else's forecast had us that cold, luckily they moderated that temperature to 44F now. That was a close one!
    My Coconut palms are back indoors for now. Hope that the sun burns this chill out of the air by next week!
    Thanks for sharing! Cant wait to see how things look by summer in your yard!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys :)

@ earthworm73- Yeah the weather has been great here, we even hit 90f's. Its cooler now and rain is in forecast, but after that it should warm up nicely :)

@ central cali369- Nope, but the valley is much alike. What all are you growing?

@ tropicalzone7- Thats kinda how its been here before this warm up, but this cool down is supposed to be short lived. We'll see though, lol. Yeah the banana's are growing faster now, hopefully they will fruit this year. My coco seems to really like the warm up with very noticable growth. How are yours doing?

- US_Marine

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Everything looks great-I hope you guys share the warmth.(-;

Click for weather forecast

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

the coconut is looking good!

• Central_Cali369
    11 years ago

I grow a lot of drought tolerant plants and grasses, so I don't have too much in the way of palms. Of course, I have a couple of old queens, a few Washingtonia, Canary Island Dates and a Butia (The common array of Central California palms). I do have a lot of fruiting plants, several passion fruit vines, cherries, grapes, pomegranates, 5 varieties of guava (Tropical Pink, Tropical White, Strawberry Guava, Lemon Guava and Chilean Guava), 6 varieties of citrus, a Mexicola avocado, apricots, white sapote, jujube, persimmons and lychee. I think I got the all haha. Here are a few things blooming in my yard right now.

A couple of grassy shots, including Aloe Reitzii, a gerbera daisy, some salvia, CA native rock rose and and a shot of a drought tolerant path littered with Honey Locust blooms from the tree above :)
    {{gwi:1128450}} {{gwi:1128451}} {{gwi:1128452}}

A variety of late spring blooming aloes (Nobilis I think? Also Callistemon Citrinus, Aloe Grandidentata, Aloe Maculata x Cameronii and Aloe Barbadiensis)
    {{gwi:1128453}} {{gwi:1128454}} {{gwi:1128455}} {{gwi:1128456}}

My little Avocado surrounded by onion and a couple of other small crops. The vine in the back is a passion fruit, and there's is a Ruby Red grape vine on the left.
    {{gwi:1128457}}

These are my pygmy date palms coming back after a low of 23 this winter. They've never been burned so badly. There are also a few other tender tropicals making a comeback after our freeze (see if you can spot the Monstera Deliciosa and what use to be White Bird of Paradise hehe). The vine here is Passiflora Edulis.
    {{gwi:1128458}}

This is Emu Bush from Australia. It's flowers are small and yellow-brown, but they are hummingbird magnets!
    {{gwi:1128459}}
    This is an unknown Cactus I've had for a little over a year. This is it's first time blooming. Also Aloe Microstigma and Salvia Gregii.
    {{gwi:1128460}} {{gwi:1128462}} {{gwi:1128464}}

Lastly, Here's a country shot at sunrise :)
    {{gwi:1128465}}

• Central_Cali369
    11 years ago

I grow a lot of drought tolerant plants and grasses, so I don't have too much in the way of palms. Of course, I have a couple of old queens, a few Washingtonia, Canary Island Dates and a Butia (The common array of Central California palms). I do have a lot of fruiting plants, several passion fruit vines, cherries, grapes, pomegranates, 5 varieties of guava (Tropical Pink, Tropical White, Strawberry Guava, Lemon Guava and Chilean Guava), 6 varieties of citrus, a Mexicola avocado, apricots, white sapote, jujube, persimmons and lychee. I think I got the all haha. Here are a few things blooming in my yard right now.

A couple of grassy shots, including Aloe Reitzii, a gerbera daisy, some salvia, CA native rock rose and and a shot of a drought tolerant path littered with Honey Locust blooms from the tree above :) See if you can spot the baby Arctostaphylos glauca in the first photo, native to the Sierra foothills just 30 miles from here. These plants are soooo fussy thought! I've killed one too many haha.
    {{gwi:1128450}} {{gwi:1128451}} {{gwi:1128452}}

A variety of late spring blooming aloes (Nobilis I think? Also Callistemon Citrinus, Aloe Grandidentata, Aloe Maculata x Cameronii and Aloe Barbadiensis)
    {{gwi:1128453}} {{gwi:1128454}} {{gwi:1128455}} {{gwi:1128456}}

My little Avocado surrounded by onion and a couple of other small crops. The vine in the back is a passion fruit, and there's is a Ruby Red grape vine on the left.
    {{gwi:1128457}}

These are my pygmy date palms coming back after a low of 23 this winter. They've never been burned so badly. There are also a few other tender tropicals making a comeback after our freeze (see if you can spot the Monstera Deliciosa and what use to be White Bird of Paradise hehe). The vine here is Passiflora Edulis.
    {{gwi:1128458}}

This is Emu Bush from Australia. It's flowers are small and yellow-brown, but they are hummingbird magnets!
    {{gwi:1128459}}
    This is an unknown Cactus I've had for a little over a year. This is it's first time blooming. Also Aloe Microstigma and Salvia Gregii.
    {{gwi:1128460}} {{gwi:1128462}} {{gwi:1128464}}

Lastly, Here's a country shot at sunrise :)
    {{gwi:1128465}}

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jim & Eric! :) Yeah this coco really wants it to be summer. Hows is your doing over there near the coast?

@ central cali369. Thats an amazing garden! Nice job, and everything looks pretty good :) Some day i will finish my garden, still in the removing and adding things to the collection stage. lol. Pretty much my coconut palm is the only palm I have but every year washy's and cidp's sprout up.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Nice centralcali! Your yard looks great! lots of variety!

Hopefully my yard starts to get itself together, that is if it even survives the next few days. Im not used to having to worry about frosts this late in the season, but there will be 2 nights in the upper 30s this week. I hate cold weather and I hate this April! I'd rather it be cloudy and cool than cloudy, cool, and freezing at night!
    -Alex

• Central_Cali369
    11 years ago

Thanks guys.

US Marine, It's taken a few years to fill in the different beds. I usually propagate and grow my plants from seed, so i start with small plants and have to wait for them to grow in. I like to plant tight, and wouldn't ever dare plant those Agave Americana in the ground! haha (3rd photo). The two Agave Americanas are potted and are above the ground. Other agaves are more user friendly and easily managed. Agave Americana is a hunk of a beast and would take over my small yard in no time! ha

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

" Other agaves are more user friendly and easily managed. Agave Americana is a hunk of a beast and would take over my small yard in no time! ha"

Not to mention there are a lot more striking agaves(-:

Click for weather forecast

• maxsonmike
    11 years ago

Warm is here to stay in So. California, I hope. This last winter I did not have one night that got down to 32, normal winter it happens maybe twice.

Mike
    Riverside, CA.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions