Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lo and behold

Posted by trishmick z7NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 4:23

Have begun to take my Windmill for granted I guess, because I only noticed this morning an unusual growth when taking a spin 'round the yard. Well, I'll be damned, my trachy is finally flowering...

Can see them emerging at the top right.

Photobucket

Close up view.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lo and behold

Congrats!! When can we expect the cigars?? lol Always a good feeling when you apply TLC & get results.

o

Very cool!

My Needle palm is flowering too!(-:

o

Congrats! How long has it been in the ground and how big was it when you planted it? Trying to gauge for the future.

o

Beautiful trachy! Cant wait until the day mine blooms. Still have several more years before mine is as beautiful as yours! Your palm was one of the inspirations for me to try a trachy out in a shadier spot of my yard. I really like the long petioles and dark green color of the fronds of shade grown trachys. So far my shade grown trachy doesnt have that nice look yet, but maybe some day!
Thanks for sharing and congrats!
-Alex

o

Thanks all. It is indeed a real pleasure to see the "fruits" of your labor. Every time my aunt comes by, I remind her how she said it would never survive. This tree was planted in the Spring of 2001 after a saw palmetto failed the year prior. It was ordered online and shipped from Florida in about a 3 gallon pot with no visible trunk. I remember thinking back then how psyched I would be once it gained some height, if it even made it through its first, or subsequent, Winter. After numerous mini greenhouses, Christmas lights, and now, nothing at all, here we are. In the Summer, it probably gets at least 6-7 hrs. of full sun, then, late afternoon shade due to a large maple under which I built a tiki bar. The fig tree next to it is much older, and unless I prune it way down, shades it some even more.

o

Nice flowers. Maybe oneday my trachy will also flower

o

Very nice, How tall is the trunk?

I only have minors in bloom this year! Not sure why my largest needle isn't in bloom. Still have a few years before any trachys are large enough to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here