Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
needle question and yucca ID

Posted by P.J._in_MD z7a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 7:12

How difficult is it to move a small needle (besides very carefully due to the sharp needles)? I'm particularly interested if they hate being disturbed and will need a long time to re-establish roots. Do needles have deep or shallow root systems?

Also, I bought this from Plants Delights 3 years ago as a yucca recurvifolia. It's very healthy but has longer fronds and is droopy compared to the others growing or for sale in this area. Could this be something other than a recurvifolia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: needle question and yucca ID

Not sure about the needle. The yucca looks good. After about 3 or 4 years and some cleaning of dead leaves it will develop a trunk and look like a little palm

o
RE: needle question and yucca ID

I dont think you will have a problem digging up the needle palm because you have a lot of room to make sure you dig as far out from the rootball as possible. Try not to damage any roots because root damage will set it back, but they will recover from root damage. Might take 2 years to fully establish (just like if it was newly planted) after that it should grow fast!
Nice yucca! Not sure of the species, but it looks great. Almost reminds me of a ponytail palm!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here