Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Medierranean Fan and Productive Seed.

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 8:51

Just outside and noticed that a large clumping Chamaerops humilis is covered in flower buds (on at least two of the larger trunks). This is at least the second year in a row that it has done this. My question is can the plant be propagated from these seeds eventually. How do I know when the seed is ripe once flowers open. Last year when my P. roebellin bloomed, the question didn't occur to me because date palms are either male or female and I only had the male flowering at the time. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Medierranean Fan and Productive Seed.

Both palms you have need a male and female. It still looks nice and makes you feel good when you get you palms to flower!!

o

Thank you Mike. I knew about date palms but didn't realize Meds are are normally either male or female. I say normally because I did a little research and apparently there are occasional exceptions for Meds (a few apparently have both gendered flowers on the same plant). I haven't mastered the art of making divisions from their pups--too prickly to even want to try that.

o

Yeah I dont think I would want to separate a med. fan palms pups either! It looks better with them all on and more importantly, its just sharp. I planted mine medd. fan palm yesterday in the ground. They are very nice palms. I like the leaf habit and form.
Enjoy the flowers!

o

Ill I have a mediterranean palm and I cut and trim it has almost 2 ft straight trunk. Looks like a trachy almost. Theres a pup coming up now if you want when I let it get bigger and send it to you.

o

Mike, that is extremely generous of you but I will pass on that.--Thank you though. So, you are able to separate their pups, tell us how to do it! Mine is covered with pups. In fact, a few of the pups are flowering I notice! I believe Meds and Trachys are related botanically (Meds are the European relatives of the Asiatic Trachys). Difference is that Trachys are much more moisture tolerant and Meds more arid-loving. Eventually, I am going to be tempted to plant this thing in the ground. I did plant a much smaller "Vulcan" in the front of the house. "Vulcan" has leaves that are less finely divided (kind of remind me of Chinese fans).

o

I take the palm out of the pot and put a long blad on the saw zaw and cut them off and toss them in the trash. Hears how I keep it

IMG00206

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here