Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Although temps are returning to normal I have a bad feeling....

jimhardy
12 years ago

about what happens after!

We have been really blessed this spring with the warmest

March in history-at least 42 years of it.

This week the temps will return to normal but I

have a bad feeling it will just be the beginning

of a colder trend-I hope I am wrong!

The good news(for some)could be that places that

have not had much spring weather may shift-

Click for weather forecast

Comments (10)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

We had some good weather in March, but the past 2 weeks or so really has not had a lot of nice weather in it. We have had frosts and freezes and days below average. Most of the days in the 10 day are below average or at average here and tomorrow morning will be another cold one at 36F. I want to start planting soon, but it looks like I will have to wait at least 2 weeks, probably until May at this rate! The growing season did not start early here, thats for sure!
    -Alex

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Jim

we had the warmest march on record also. Typically we have a good snow fall in march and chance of freezes in early April and it doesnt look like that will happen this year. I too think that one of the years whether this winter or next could be really chilly. Our average daily temps in March was 59 degrees.

mike

• chadec
    12 years ago

March was great here, several days in the 80's. April is looking just as good. Alittle cool this weekend with highs in the 60's. Lows are still going to be in the 40's. Then the heat returns!

Alex- we have been planting here for three weeks. Unbelievable weather. Not outrageously hot like two years ago. But very consistent.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

Same here Jim, we had the warmest March on record, but April brought us back to reality. It hasn't been that cold, but when you're given 70s and 80s, 50s for highs don't feel all that warm. My bananas definitely slowed down with growth too. It's been touch and go with potted tropicals outdoors too. I'll be happy when 70s return as the norm closer to the end of this month for average highs.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The averages have been great for sure and April may end up only a few degrees below avg.
    The problem is we may see mid 20s next week,ending the flowering plants early debut....
    one good thing is that quite a few are finsihed.

I may be pulling all my palm/cactus protection(maybe even the x-mas lights) out to cover bananas,castors,EE's etc.

Not to high a price to pay for a 4-6 week jump on spring/summer weather-unless it lasts for a while.

• User
    12 years ago

Not that bad here, low to mid 60's highs, down to upper30's /40's night. Very dry though, we need rain for a change. Southeast drought seems to be expanding to the Northeast. Back to moving the Citrus back out after the late March chill down. Cold, cool, or hot, weather still not "normal".

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

We were in drought last summer in southern Delaware. All that soaking rain in NJ completely missed us. Even Irene wasn't that much rain. We could use a slow all week stalled warm front with light drizzle. WC app has been red with increase fire risk warnings because its so dry and windy.

• User
    12 years ago

March, April, and May can typically be VERY moist with heavy downpours and high humidity. Not so the last few seasons, Spring seems much drier with low humidity and sun, Summer it's hit or miss (drought or flooding), and Autumn and Winter seem much wetter. National Weather Service calls for some improvement in coastal NE but persistence in Del/Eastern Md. What's not good is how much of the country is under drought stress this early in the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought monitor

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I totally agree,it was so dry here last year,about 5" June/Oct
    and only looks like 2 rainfalls over an inch since Oct.

This created a unique situation for us here-freezes with no frost.

Several times we were down to about 26F or so and there was never any frost!

When we did get an inch and a half of rain in Nov we saw some
    harder freezes because frost was present,this wiped out the Castors
    and Bananas even though the temps were the same!

Anyway-this happened again last night and as Oasis
    pointed out(or I think was pointing out(-:)this is very unusual!

Low at the airport was 30F/34F at my place 33F very breifly so,the low was basically 34F but no
    frost on anything as the dewpoint was 21F and the humidity never went above 55%!

You may see that in fall but almost never in spring!!!!!

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

We've been under increased chance of wild fire warnings the humidity is so low and its so dry. This is usually the wettest month of the year.