Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Buds/new growth,damage and some other stuff

jimhardy
11 years ago

Lots of Cactus flowers coming............just a couple of them

Nanus recovering nicely(green in center)surprised me a little.

Ensete is off to an early start!

Bamboo is increasing it's range-

Iris,ready to bloom-month ahead.

Washys are moving nicely for so early in the year-

about-600 GDD in March is responsible-

Hard to tell but that leaf is over 3' wide.

Satillite view of new Saba leaf.

I think this Saba will be the biggest Banana plant I have ever grown by fall(-:

Now the damage from the 5F(airport)12-15F 2-3" snow event in early March...........

Partial pull(half leaf) of largest Waggie-over all it is healthy and pushing the damage out.

Minor damage to Nainital-just some discoloration.

Very minor damage to Fortunei-more of a discoloring than damage.

Samaller Fortunei-similar damage to Waggie-

I think this illustrates the various hardiness levels in regard to palm size.

Little Larrick(S.McCurtain) doing well!

My B.Eriospatha has very deep spear-pull but feels like the spear is coming back.

New stuff-

E.Ventiricosum

the one from last year tried to bloom over the winter!

)-:

E.Glaucum

Big leaved castor bean plants!

Alocasia plant "Nigra" elephant ear

Calla (Hercules)giant Calla.

Alocasia "Frydek"

Alocasia "Amazonica" elephant ear

71 Takil seeds and another 55 in a baggie.

Alocasia reginula plant "black velvet" elephant ear

My little Tesan is putting out it's second leaf since

being planted in late Feb!

Butterfly bushes

Pampas grass usually not growing this time of year-knee high already(-:

I am scaling it back in case your wondering....

Lush growth on Sequoia........ usually starts a month from now.

Growth point of Yucca had some rot from being in contact with the hoophouse plastic-so what did I do-trunk cut of course(-:

Whats left of the Cooperi-what?

Of course it's trunk cut-LOL

Dicksonia Antarctica

Only one growing and maybe only one alive-

M.Lasiocarpa leaf after a low of(30F airport)33F my yard.

Row of seedlings....Manipur,Takil,Tesan,Nova,Winsan,Princeps.

3 of Garry's Princeps

Click for weather forecast

Comments (4)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awesome pics as always Jim! I really like the new additions. Always wanted to try a Calla "Hercules" and those giant leafed castor beans sound really cool (I think the regular castor beans have pretty giant leaves!). I cant wait to try out castor beans this year. Im directly sowing the seeds in the ground in maybe about a week or 2. I still have to wait a little bit to see how many of the cannas come back up because the castor beans will replace those if they dont come up.

Cant wait to see how your saba grows! If they grow faster in their second year then yours will definitely be higher than your porch by late summer. Hopefully mine will be the tallest tropical plant in my yard by July.

Those cacti look great and your palms are going to make a great recovery! I really like that agave!

Sorry to hear about the T. Ferns. At least the Dicksonia is alive (and it looks good too!). They are very hardy tree ferns. Mine looked bad after being "underwatered" (I put that in quotes because I think I watered it pretty well, but the fried fronds would disagree), but it made a flush of fronds indoors and looks a lot more acceptable now. Im probably going to plant it in the ground especially now that I see yours did so well!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Nice pics Jim. Your giant reed is way ahead of mine and my bamboo didnt even shoot yet. Everything looks great.

Alex I had a a few cannas already sprout. Most of mine rotted that were in the ground, but a few survived. I had some unwanted castor beans ans sunflowers already sprout in the lawn so I think its safe to plant now.

• pj_orlando_z9b
    11 years ago

Great update Jim. Looks like you are off to a great growing season! That washingtonia is going to be amazing by the end of summer. I need to get an Ensete...what is your source? Also love the ghost plant. I used to have one but some animal or insect kept eating it.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex

Wasn't even the winter that killed the T.ferns....just a bad forecast in faLL )-:

The Saba will rule for sure this year...3x as much growth at least!

I really love the Agaves too,even the slower ones have already grown 5 leaves!

Stat

That Bamboo is well established now and has rally taken off this year like never before!

PJ

I usually get my Ensete off e-bay.

Click for weather forecast