Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Poor bee and some pics

jimhardy
11 years ago

Amazing what you might find in the garden if you look close.......(day before)yesterday it was new spathes on the Needle palm and...........yesterday-this

I think he lost it in the high winds of the last few days!

What a way to go!

You may have seen some of these plants before but...

they are new pics(grin)

My Castor bean plants have never been so large this

time of year...the trick is getting them through the(hopefully) few cold nights that are left...

Has anyone tried a hardy(I think it's called "Hope") Philodendron?????

I found this at Wal-Mart for $10 but I am not sure if it is the same thing???????

Amazingly-(for my area)these Washys have been uncovered since (at least)March 8th-just a few days(March 5th)after the snow and 5F at the airport event.

March 8th

I was a little concerned they would get off to a

slow start since the leaves were all nuked last fall...........

I am not worried about that anymore(grin)

Here they are on 4-18-12

These leaves are freaking huge!

These yellow flowers have an AMAZING sweet lemony smell-

_

I wish I could get a good shot of how big this Agave is-I really love this plant!

Even after 2 years you could twist it on it's stem

but it is rock solid now and working on leaf #5 already!

"credit" card for scale.

Alocasia "Nigra" putting out it's first leaf-cool plant!

Calla "Hercules" also with it's first ("new home")-leaf.

Empress Wu Giant Hosta-first full season in ground.

D.A. only T.fern left/growing right now.

There is a small chance the Cooperi's and Brownii will come back as they are still green.

Thai giant is coming alive

Ran out of time but I wanted to post these too.

S.McCurtain a.k.a. "little Larrick"

Little bit more on the damage to the palms from the 5-12F cold and snow event of early March.

Only slight discoloring on the largest Fortunei.

The Waggie and smaller Fortunei had almost the same

level of damage...one leaf severed at the petiole

and the top of the next spear dicolored.

Waggie

Fortunei

Very close on the Nainital

Leaves were partially severed on it-I think this shows how important spear movement/growth is.

Click for weather forecast

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awesome pics! Great update! Poor bee, maybe I should get a few more cactus so I can take care of the wasp problem in my yard! I hate wasps, dont have a problem with bees though.

Those castor beans are already pretty big! Hope they make it through the last few cold nights!

Your dicksonia looks good! They seem to be very good at regrowing fronds and staying green during cold.

The wu giant hosta is supposed to be the largest one out there! I think its a new cultivator as of this year.

Looking forward to seeing how big that is by the end of the summer!

Your yard already looks like June! Everything is growing fast!

I planted a large stingray alocasia yesterday and made some holes for a few new plants. Hopefully this weekend rain wont be too cold and set them back! My Lantanas are coming back up now! Im adding that to the list of marginals that survived last winter (so far begonias, purple hearts, cannas, gingers, musa basjoos, pineapple lilies, lantana, and possibly my mexican petunias all survived last winter!)

-Alex

• chicago_palm
    11 years ago

Awesome Pics!! Its looks more like late Mid to Late May in your yard. If the Washys keep growing, protecting them is going to be a challenging this winter and beyond. Wow, that was one unlucky bee!!

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Jim- That is a crazy pic of that bee impaled on that cacti! Never seen anything like that.

That philodendron looks like a split-leaf philodendron. I grew a couple last year, and found 2 more at Lowe's at the end of the season for $3 on clearance. Great price for such big plants. A word of advice, they do appreciate some shade, and can definitely tolerate it if you have a shady spot where you need to plant something.

Your Nainital is getting huge! I just planted mine in the ground the other day. I hope mine grows as fast as yours.

Your Washys look awesome! I can't wait to receive mine from the mail man LOL.

I'll have to keep my eye out for that cultivar of hosta. It's always nice to have hardy plants that only look like tropicals without any special attention.

One last thing I was thinking of...be careful when planting running bamboo. I was out in my yard yesterday and noticed bamboo popping up everywhere. It can and probably will become invasive, even in zones 5 and 6. Very hard to get rid of, if not impossible, once you have it.

Everything looks awesome.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex

You might need to swing that cactus as I think it is fairly uncommon for them to off themselves(-:

Chi-palm

Those leaves can be easily be folded like a fan but still
    alot of work -for sure.

Ryan

I think some Superthrive or other root hormone will get that sucker jumping this year.

You won't believe the roots on that Washy-they are huge.

The lawn mower should keep the Bamboo down-I hope.

Hopefully you will get it tomorrow.

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Nice pics Jim. All of your plants are ahead of mine.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I'll have to get a plant stand that rotates the cactus around. That should do the trick! lol
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...or put a handle on it and come out swinging!