Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant Pot size

Posted by larrm 6b (larrm@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 10:33

Hi and Happy Easter

I have quite a few different varities of palm seedlings 6-10 inches tall with 2-3 leaves. These palms are in 4" pots at present, my question is, when transplanting should they first go to a bit larger pot or immediately go to a 1 gallon or larger. I have 3 bismarks (germinated) I have planted in very large pots (in which they will stay) to minimize root disturbance. I have about 15 christmas palm seedlings and have transplanted 4 seedlings from 4" pots into 2 gallon containers (2 per container)with no ill effects. These palms will be container grown and moved outside during the hot humid summers we experience in Southern Ontario.
Would transplanting to larger pots immediately instead of gradually introducing slightly larger containers stunt the growth.

Thanks Larry
Tropical Southern Ontario Canada (not really)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant Pot size

I don't think a 1 gallon pot is too big. I wouldn't repot unless they are already showing signs of being rootbound.

o
RE: Transplant Pot size

I have the same question and another, why are my medjool palms curlling on its first growth leaf?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here