Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids...?

Posted by us_marine CA-z9b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 10:41

It looks like my coco has aphids... Whats the best way to get rid of them? I was thinking about misting a mix of dish soap and water on fronds, stems, etc...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids...?

My coconut also had pests eariler this year, but it wasnt aphids, but scale. I poured some dishsoap mixed with water and applied to every leaf down to the stem and trunk. Then I washed it all off. A few days later I got a paper towel and poured rubbing alcohol on it and rubbed every single one off the plant. It took a few weeks before I got them all, but I havent seen them back since. This happened in the fall to me so I had to do all this indoors. Outside you have access to fresh air and a powerful hose so you can also soak it with water often which could wash some lose ones away.
Other than some leaf discoloring, the scale didnt seem to do too much permanent damage to my coconut and its now growing well so it seems like as long as you get rid of the aphids quick, you coco will not be affected as much.

Good luck!

o

Water & soap work well for Aphids and Coffee grounds works well for Scale. Good luck!

o

Neem oil,or as Jay said Coffee,probably fastest to make some up and spray it on too.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

I hear neem oil works great. Im a little afraid to try coffee grinds because everything I put it in seems to die, but maybe its not pure coffee or something. Just make sure your not putting something like hazelnut coffee in there, I dont think it will be too happy with anything but pure coffee but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

o

I put about 2 lbs of mixed coffee from Starbucks around and all over my palms and they love it. It cured the Scale infestation that I had from last fall. It honestly won't hurt anything, but I do understand the concern. I was leery at first too, but it does work and also, from what I hear, it works as a fertilizer as well. I add coffee grounds about once per month now.

I'm attaching a link, the one that I found when searching for a Scale cure. Give it a read if you get a chance... it's very informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee grounds

o

Thanks for the info jay. It seems like most people are finding coffee to be very helpful. I dont think I would try it again unless I have a plant that is very infested with scale and if it works then I will probably be less afraid to use it. Fortunately most of my plants are finally bug free for now!

Good luck!

o

Thanks everyone:) Wow, it looks like this dish soap mix kills them quicker than I thought?!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here