Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do i need to be concerned? Windmill's

Posted by lascapa ga (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 10:48

There is some white stuff om my windmill and I am not sure what it is. Is it some sort of disease? Do I need to do anything about it? Thanks for your help. I tried to add picture directly to post but couldn't figure out how to do it, sorry.
Sal

Here is a link that might be useful: windmill1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do i need to be concerned? Windmill's

here is another pic

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/lascapa/phpSnJFpoAM.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: windmill2

o

Normal tomentum showing on this Trachy,some have this in
abundance and some hardly show any.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Thanks for the reply Jim. I'm glad it's nothing serious. I always learn something from this forum. Even if I don't post, I like to come here daily and read.

I noticed today on my smaller Trachy one of the spears coming out is yellow. I guess I will just have to watch it and see what happens. Or should I tug on it and see if it pulls out? Thanks everyone.
Sal

o

Betting that it'll green up once it emerges into the sunlight. Give it a gentle tug if you like--bet it's good though--sounds like mine after a Godawful Winter.

o

I agree, the stuff in your pics looks perfectly normal. Like Jim says, the amount of the tomentum will vary from Trachy to Trachy. I have 5 trachys, 2 in pots and seedlings, and 3 in the ground as small plants. 2 of them have a lot of this (one has sliver undersides) and the other 3 are almost perfectly green.

Not sure what to say about the yellow spear. Just keep an eye on it. The new leaf might come out a bit beaten up, but I think that it should be okay. Even if the spear does pull out, it should come back as long as all the other fronds stay green (windmill palms are known to be pretty good at coming back from spear pull, especially at a young age since spear pull is pretty common at a young age).
Good luck!
-Alex

o

Agreed

It should green up in a few weeks(if it's o.k.) in full sunlight.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Thanks for all the replies! I will watch it carefully.

I plan on planting 2 more palms in the next couple of weeks. A European Fan Palm, which I have ordered. And I am thinking about ordering a Sabal Tamaulipas which is on Ebay. It is very small, but it should be interesting to watch it grow. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here