Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
showrfresh

Oh No! Mexican Fan Palm

showrfresh
13 years ago

We had a colder than normal winter here in central Mississippi, and I think a few factors may have led to the death of my beautiful Mexican Fan Palm. I really hope that I can save it somehow.

By late winter all of the fronds had turned brown, but really, this isn't abnormal. Up until this year, it had done that each year. But each year I would wait until it started to put out new growth, then I would trim off the brown fronds.

Well, this year we went out of town for the weekend on February 20th, and my mom 'helped out' and did some work in my garden. She trimmed off all of the fronds waaaay before it was putting out new growth.

I don't know whether the early trimming led to the palm not putting out new growth, or if it was just the cold winter in general that has stunted its growth. Is there anything I can do to coax it to put out new growth? There are some signs of life (green) on what is left of the fronds. Also, one of the other palms (about 3-feet) that she trimmed is putting out new growth, too. This one is about 8-feet tall.

Any ideas? There are some additional photos on my blog here: A Shower Fresh Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner