Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh No! Mexican Fan Palm

Posted by showrfresh z8 MS (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 10:52

We had a colder than normal winter here in central Mississippi, and I think a few factors may have led to the death of my beautiful Mexican Fan Palm. I really hope that I can save it somehow.

By late winter all of the fronds had turned brown, but really, this isn't abnormal. Up until this year, it had done that each year. But each year I would wait until it started to put out new growth, then I would trim off the brown fronds.

Well, this year we went out of town for the weekend on February 20th, and my mom 'helped out' and did some work in my garden. She trimmed off all of the fronds waaaay before it was putting out new growth.

I don't know whether the early trimming led to the palm not putting out new growth, or if it was just the cold winter in general that has stunted its growth. Is there anything I can do to coax it to put out new growth? There are some signs of life (green) on what is left of the fronds. Also, one of the other palms (about 3-feet) that she trimmed is putting out new growth, too. This one is about 8-feet tall.

Any ideas? There are some additional photos on my blog here: A Shower Fresh Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh No! Mexican Fan Palm

Lisa-

Is there any green left in the spear area?

Where is the spear for that matter?

If there is,there is a chance it will come back,climb up
there and give it a dug-if it comes out treat with peroxide or copper based fungicide.

I would think you would see movement by now,if you haven't try cutting down on the trunk about 5"
from the top(at an angle)to see if the spear is healthy.

Good luck-let us know what you find!

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

It sounds like it will send out a spear? Did mom trim off the spear? She meant well and forgive her. I see green in the photo and suspect it will come back this time.

The biggest concern for the palm is that you are ignoring warning signs to COVER the bud and fronds during the jan/feb winter blasts. The fact it dies back so much communicates -cover me I am too cold.

Eventually she will poop out from trying to regrow every single year and needs a break. Treat her to two winters covered and let her build up some strength. Just the fact she survives shows you are on the border of a zone where she can make it with some understanding and help.

o

I do see some green, so maybe a new spear will come out. Definitely protect it this winter (unless its very mild) so it builds up some strength (if its still alive). Give it a month to recover (and some copper fungicide will help). If it doesnt start to grow at all by then, then cut it down just a few inches to see if any growth is left and if it looks healthy, leave it (but keep it dry). It should grow if healthy inside, but it will probably not look good this summer.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

BTW
That looks more like a W.filifera to me(-:

California fan palm

Hope it comes back for you.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here