Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixieboy_gw

My home is in Dixie, 3 pics

dixieboy
12 years ago

The skeeters are bothersome but i still sit amoungst my palms & live oaks!

{{gwi:1129560}}

As i have mentioned before, trachycarpus may not be so glamorous amoung the palm world but the deep green & yeller look good to me!

{{gwi:1129561}}

I've walked under these live oaks here in eastern NC quite a few times & my mind wonders about the history these trees have seen or the stories they could tell. Just a little farther down this sandy road is a marshy area where you can mostly always spot a gator or two or three!

{{gwi:1129562}}

Comments (23)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Always love seeing your posts. Those live oaks are so impressive. I forgot to post the one pic I took of a live oak yesterday from my visit to Bethany Beach. It pales by comparison anyway! But goes under the files for "Gee, I didn't know that could grow in Delaware" for people who vacation or garden here.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vince, i occasionally would drive a rental from the NY area after i got off the boat for time off down rt.13, once below the Wilmington area i always felt the upper southern topography scenery was swiftly com'in into view. Of course when i hit the VB area & live oaks galore, that's when the shoes & socks came off!! lol

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Nice pics. The flowers on the windmill palm are beautiful.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to do a quick swing down to pick up a few things from Gary's in the coming weeks. Are you down by New Bern?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics! Especially the last one! Really nice southern scene!
    -Alex

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SI palm, thanks, they do blend in well with the deep green fronds & give them a nice contrast this time of year.

Vince, yes, i'm in the general vincity of there but a lttle more to the east in eastern Beaufort county at a small community named Pamlico Beach.

Alex, when i take my walks under those trees, it's like i am transformed back to another time period. A very pleasant feeling! Thanks

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex, this scene close to our community is what i like to see, live oaks in the process of forming a canopy over the rural roadway, now if the state DOT will not disturb a natural process of mother nature, folks like me will keep the smiley face on!!!!
    {{gwi:1129563}}

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

This what recently planted (5 years) live oaks look like in our area. Meant to post this with my Bethany Beach post the other day. And I thought this was pretty impressive. LOL!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Best not get to close to that thang Vince, liable to pick up a southern drawl!! lol

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow Carl, Great pic! I never get tired of live oak trees. When spanish moss is draping over it, its just gives you a feeling you only get in the south. They are really awesome trees, the shape of them is something you dont see in other trees and some of them have a really long history too going back to times before the US was the US!

Nice live oak wetsuiter! Thats a great example of what a young live oak looks like! It is going to look really impressive 10-20 years from now!

-Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Carl,

Wonderful pics as always!!!

Love the one of the dirt road with the Live Oak Canopy... reminds me of the "ol south.." I think i saw a grey uniform... : ) Isnt that right Dixieboy?

I have always loved the live oaks here in VB. They all have the lean to them from the gentle winds fron the east here at the beach.. they are the best trees to climb in as a younster.. except for the chiggers... Yikes!

Hey V..

Love your pic too! I think you are starting to pick up that southern draw.. LOL... Hope all is well. Ill get those seeds to you in the next week. J is going to help so when i get back from this trip, i will know when i can send them.

Thanks for the wonderful pics...

Take care,

Laura

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

People in Southern Delaware and southern Eastern Shore Maryland do have that Tidewater dialect going on. I'm not a native here. Just a grateful transplant.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura, yepper, what would our 'south' be w/out those precious jewels scattered about in the native landscape, gotta lov'um!! ( back in the day, i imagine that sandy lane saw many grey uniforms!)lol

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our oaks may not be back to normal like they were before the storm but are fighting back to get there!
    {{gwi:1129565}}

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nothing says "The South" better than those beautiful Oaks covered in moss(-:

Click for weather forecast

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our humble home is not just nestled in the pines but SM too.....lol Thanks Jim!
    {{gwi:1129566}}

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It took a few years to get this group of trachycarpus to get up to the size they are but worth while, they are not usually long lived here by the coast is the only deterent!
    {{gwi:1129567}}

• mountaingrown
    11 years ago

Hello you ole Pirate !
    Ive missed seeing you and your old palm hunting buddy from reedy creek ;)
    I hope all is well and miss your reports from NC on the HPB.
    (and they say Cali is the land of fruit and nuts ..ha )
    Carl,
    Im going to be in Wilson at the end of the month and will only be there a Saturday afternoon till Sunday midday. Due to commitments I would be able to travel further east but will be driving in and returning to Raleigh that weekend.
    Im looking for a potted Sabal palmetto. Would the Big Box stores in that area sell them? 3g or 5g.
    Do you know of any Nurseries that sell 'Reedy Creek' palms?
    Im glad I found you and just hope you see this before the last week of May.
    Thanks Buddy , God Bless
    Rob

• mountaingrown
    11 years ago

EDIT :
    Sorry Carl , due to commitments "I WOULD NOT " be able to travel further east of Wilson.
    Thanks Buddy !

I need to pay attention more..
    ESL is hard - :)

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Hey Rob, good to hear from you, the reason for not posting on the other board is for some reason i'm logged off of it but i have my password here somewhere & will get back when i find it by & by.

Rob, Wilson is still a good bit farther west from me & i'm really not that familar with it but to pass threw every now & then, sorry i couldn't help you on that one. My guess would be not that good of a selection though.

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

I'm not sure why palm fans poo poo the trachys. Since I moved to Florida, I can grow almost anything I want, and I do. But my favorites are still my good old windmill palms. Yours look wonderful

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aloyzius, i agree, given TLC & they stand proud, especially in the cold hardy field, thanks for the comments & compliment!

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I think people in warmer climates poo poo windmills because they are a bit ordinary. Some don't like their woolly trunk, which is part of what helps their hardiness. I don't understand why some shave all the fuzz off and limb them up to make them look more "tropical". Without their woolly trunk and skirt of older fronds, they look ordinary. They are a solid performer here that need no winter protection, so I'm grateful for them. And I guess I'm just simple minded because I see no difference in all the rare varieties. Plain ole furtunei works fine foe me.