Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixieboy_gw

7 pics

dixieboy
12 years ago

On this cool rainy friday it's a slow day so why not post a few pics? Windmills not the glamor child of the palm world but when kept in a healthy growth pattern & sport'in spring blooms, we cold hardy palm growers are pleased to have them in our landscape!

{{gwi:1129597}}

In the last phase of rebuilding from hurricane Irene i told my son in law let's not harm the pop up palmetto but he had to saw three or four of the bigger fronds off anyhow. Don't look to bad does it??? Hoping the palm will be a focal point for the storage building when finished.

{{gwi:1129599}}

Old poster from 1949 i may have posted before but glad to say the road is the same & preserved to this day.

{{gwi:1129601}}

South Louisiana s.minors 'ultimate growing of the species'.

{{gwi:1129603}}

Ours pale in comparison.

{{gwi:1129604}}

{{gwi:1129605}}

On the shores of Lake Ponchartrain.

{{gwi:1129606}}

Comments (10)

• Venni
    12 years ago

Thanks for that! That's exactly how I have my baby windmill seedlings planted, hope to have a view just like that in a decade ;D

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Send us that rain. Oh and your pop op palmetto too.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Venni, all it takes is a little patience & TLC & you'll have that view in no time!!

Vince, i'll work on the rain for ya but not......lol.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey dixieboy,
    I think Trachycarpus palms looks best when planted in groups of 3 or 5.Yea I don't blame you on not wanting any harm done to that Palmetto.To answer your question,the Palmetto still looks fine.I like the Louisiana palm picture.It shows that they do have a 6 to 8 ft trunk.I wonder how long it took to get that big?I like the look of the Sabal in the 6Th picture.Did that hurricane damage that Louisiana palm?It looks like it's missing some fronds.How are all your palms doing,did they get any damage?I Like that card also.
    I hope you have a good Holiday weekend.
    Randy

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Randy, i'll tell ya it's really a pleasure to sit out in the yard on a nice spring day & view ones palms that you've guided into be'in tree size from containerized or seed grown specimens.

Those Lou-zana minors are more than likely in their one hundred plus years or more for sure, the first pic of the lou's i took at Avery island where the tobasco sause is made & the care takers of the gardens trim them up.

Some of my stuff got damaged from the storm but if we stay storm free for a while we will get back in the groove!

Pic no.6 is the minor i rescued from the shoreline here.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I really like the trachy, thats a great grouping! Glad to see your almost finished recovering from Irene. The palms all look great and Im sure they are enjoying the rain.
    We can really use some rain here too! I cant remember the last time there wasnt a Fire Watch in Effect. There was only 19% humidity during the afternoon yesterday!
    -Alex

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bud, yes, rain is a vital part of the equation, the nutrients found in that stuff that comes from above can't be beat, it preforms magic!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Randy, this pic should explain a little better when i say i rescued the minor in pic 6 from a eroding shoreline.
    {{gwi:1129608}}

• butiaman
    12 years ago

dixieboy,
    It looks like there are a few more that need rescuing :)
    I'm glad none of your beautiful palms got any major damage.

Last time I went to Cumberland Island,GA. there were no palms that close to any water.There were petrified trees on parts of the beach.I took some pics.but I don't know where there at.

There are some S.minors on the edge of the Savanna river like that.There protected by the state,so you don't want to get caught messing with them.I don't know which type of Minors they are but there huge.

Have you talked to Johnny lately?I lost his phone number.Do you know how's he doing?

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As far as i know he's fine, i get email from him now & then.