Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few spring pics

Posted by dixieboy z8 innercoast NC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 11:17

Two pics as an example of cycas revoluta hardiness, pic #1 winter low temps of 19 or above 07/08, pic #2 19 degrees & below winter 2010/11, 17 degrees low & no tarp protection. Location does help close to house though!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Little late on the veggie garden but slowly & surely.
Photobucket

Full moon shot from our place.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Live oaks are a shiny new green now.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few spring pics

• Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 17:05

Hey dixieboy,
Your Cycads look great.Are they Cycas revolutas?I wish I had a inside corner on my house that didn't face north.I've tried them out in my yard and they rot in the ground during winter.Do you add sand or something to make them drain better?I notice the one you have by the carport is on top of a mound.Is that a Agave Americana I see in pix 5 behind the silver car?I have 2 of the Cycas revolutas in 15 gal.pots,there pot bound and need to be potted up to bigger pots or planted in the ground.They weigh about 80lbs a piece now.Maybe if I mixed in a lot of sand they wouldn't rot on me.Great pix as always.I hope everything is well with you.
Randy

o

Randy, i did plant our cycads a little higher than usual because we have low black soil that doesn't drain all that well, i think i did mix some sand in. The americana i didn't raise the bed high enough & the last to winters it has shown moisture stress, my bad. Take care, turning the AC on today!
Photobucket

o

Hello Everyone!!!

Dixieboy....

WOW!!! Beautiful pics....

Everything looks so healthy and happy...

Your Agave is huge... looking good in NC!!!

Love the pics of the water scene...quite lovely!!!

Hi Randy..hope all is well...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

o

Thanks Laura, glad you enjoyed the pics, hope every thing in VB is honky-dory!

o

Love it. Quintessential South.

o

Jacklord, thank you sir, glad you enjoyed the pics!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here