Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm tree carpenter ant infestation

Posted by rockstarwife Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 11:37

When I started to trim & pull back the dead fronds on my 15' Foxtail Palm, it's infested with huge carpenter ants carrying little white things (eggs?). What do I do to save the tree and kill the ants? It appears that the entir tree is brown, but there may be some signs of life somewhere after pruning it back. Please hurry as I have relatives visitng soon!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm tree carpenter ant infestation

The only way I know of getting rid of carpenter ants is to destroy there nest. I would also power wash your palm with a hose and try to clean your palm of the ants.
And in the meantime keep your palm happy. Give it some palm fertilizer and water and let it grow as fast as possible so it recovers.
Good luck!

o

Sounds like cold damage and the ants just moved into the dead part to live. You can spray with an insecticide and that will kill them. All the other non poison ways don't work very well in my opinion.

o

I recommend permethrin at one teaspoon to one gallon water. Soak the nest and the roots of the tree. It is harmless to palms but deadly to ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here