Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm73

New things for spring

earthworm73
11 years ago

Yesteray I went out and bought a couple of things to fuel the addiction. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but the sun was gping down when I took them.

My trachycarpus latisectus that will be babied in a pot for another season or two.

I love the fuzzy totem.

The only sabal I've ever seen offered for sale in this state. This a sabal palmetto working on it's first true frond.

Fig "tree" (stick lol)

I've got a few more things that are coming and I'll wait to post those later. Thanks for looking.

Comments (7)

• butiaman
    11 years ago

Hey earthworm,
    Looks like your ready for summer.Where did you get such a big T.latisectus at?It's impossible to find one here anywhere near that size.It looks like that S.palmetto is growing in mostly bark chips.Maybe that's why mine don't have such long strap leaves,mines in Jungle Growth potting soil.You'll love the Brown Turkey fig trees.Let the figs ripen as much as possible to the point to where there about to fall off,you can eat them right from the tree.There so sweat and juicy if left to ripen to that point.If you want fig preserves just let them turn a good brown color.I love fig preserves on a biscuit with butter for breakfast.I had a Brown Turkey fig bush that was about 50yrs old and I dug it up and made 9 trees out of it.It's the best fig tree in my opinion because they don't need a pollinator.

How is your southeast T.fortunei seeds doing?My northwest T.fortunei x wagnerianus seeds are growing roots but no above soil growth yet.Maybe in the next couple weeks they will poke there heads above the soil.You have some nice plants there.I hope they all do well for you.
    Randy

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Yea,that is a nice sized Latty-what did they want for it?

Click for weather forecast

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ Randy I don�t think we exchanged trachy seeds. Fortunei x Waggie sounds like something Joe from SSI would have. Thanks for the comments about the figs. Yeah figs are my new thing this year. I can�t seem to get enough of eating them. Fresh ones have not been put on the shelves around here yet (late?) so I have been munching on the bagged ones. I can only imagine a fresh sun ripen one off of a tree. The fig preserves sound good. Both the wife and I grew up in the south and she makes the BEST homemade biscuits from scratch (yeah I know I�m partial but they are delicious). Imma hafta try fig preserves although I am trying to watch what I eat these days lol. The t. latisectus was the very last one they had. Last season they had a bunch and I actually had one in my hand until I saw what was labeled as a t. takil and bigger than then t. latisectus. So I put it down for the falsely labeled palm. Now that thing is less palm and more stump trying to recover from surgery.

@ Jim they wanted $39 for it which I thought wasn�t too bad. They also have a t. martianus tucked away in a corner that I want. It is the same size as the t. latisectus but probably has a few more fully opened fronds. I really want it but they are asking $99 for it! I won�t pay that much for a palm that is marginally hardy here when young� albeit beautiful. The next time I�m there I will see if they are willing to knock it down to $75 then I might snag it.

The one I bought is seriously root bound. I don�t know if you can see it but the trunk sticks about 3 inches above the dog gone soil line with the main roots exposed! I think it might be time to up pot huh? There was a t. latisectus and a t. martianus planted on a south (I think) facing wall on their property. Both appear to have partially defoliated this past winter but they are in a warm microclimate and are putting out growth despite the unseasonably cool and rainy spring.

• butiaman
    11 years ago

earthworm,
    I thought you was the person that bought some T.fortunei seeds from somebody down here.
    I did get the T.fortunei x wagnerianus seeds from Banana Joe.
    Yea I thought it was you who got there seeds from here.I remember the person saying they know Joe and I had some good Northwest Trachy seeds.The person wanted to compare how well both types of seeds do.I'm sorry that I thought it was you.It must have been sombody else.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I hope you have better luck with these palms!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great plants, especially the Trachycarpus latisectus! The Sabal palmetto should do really well too, they are pretty easy to grow, they just need as much heat and water as possible during the summer months. Shouldnt be long before you get a ton of fruit from that fig!
    -Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

Those will be nice replacements for your other trachy. Hope you have better luck with these. If you have enough heat that sabal will be really nice!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner