Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Early April 2014 pics around my yard and Some pics from Florida

tropicalzone7
10 years ago

Hey everyone, here's an update of what's happening in my yard right now. Everything is far behind and there isn't too much going on so I'll post some pics from when i was down in Florida a few weeks ago also.
I apologize in advance for all the pics. It might take a while to load depending on how your computer is.
Hope you enjoy!

Indoors my Solandra maxima vine made a bloom this past week! It's a very unique and beautiful vine. Unfortuantely it can't reach it's full potential in a pot, but if I ever move to the tropics this will be one of the first things I plant!

I bought some nun orchids at a local nursery. They are great to have around the house and they are very easy to get to bloom every year.

Here's my potted Livistona. i have an identical one on the opposite size of the BBQ that I didn't take a pic of. They got some damage from the cold in the garage, but after pruning the dead fronds, they are looking good.

These livistonas were also in the garage and are still looking a little beat up. I will probably prune off some more fronds and maybe get rid of a few of the multiple trunks on these to give them a more open look (and have room for some annuals in those pots).

Yucca Color Guard is a reliable one for year round color in pots. No damage from winter.

The palms by the pool are looking okay. They were all protected.

The trachy is a little beat up from being crammed into it's protection during the winter, but a few nice and warm weeks should have it looking better.

Despite the cold winter, my protected livistona probably has less damage than ever (this was it's 3rd winter in the ground). No matter how much damage it gets though it always comes back very strong in the summer which makes it very worth keeping for me.

This one was a nice surprise. My blue med fan palm had no protection other than being near the protection for the other palms. The mother plant died, but the pups are still alive. Not bad after 3F and a LOT of freezing days and nights. It's a very strong palm.

My other Trachy

Pygmy palm spent the winter in the garage. I used to keep them in the house, but they would never make it to summer in the house. These palms are much happier in the garage in my experience for some reason.

My oleander is looking really bad. I already pruned off some of the branches that were really clearly dead. It looks like it will mostly or completely die back to the ground if I'm even lucky.

My med fan palm had no heat added for the coldest night of the year 4F. It was almost completely defoliated, but I made sure it was properly protected for the rest of the winter and it is already growing back. I would have never guessed these palms could survive single digits.

My sabal minor saw the same temperatures as my med fan palm. 3F on the coldest night and then decent protection from that point on. It got damaged pretty heavily (not surprising coming from a blue potted palm I guess), but it should grow back without issues with its decent growth rate.

The frostproof gardenia did recieve some protection on and off throughout the winter, but it definitely saw single digits on at least one occasion and teens several other times. A little bit of light foliage damage, but I'm not expecting die back. My completely unprotected Frostproof gardenia in the backyard (in a very bad microclimate) is almost fried but I think it will come back.

Tulips slowly coming to life.

New Loquat!

This Southern Mag was planted last summer. It lost a few leaves because of the cold and the wind this winter, but it's already showing signs of growing those all back so I think it will be fine.

And here are a couple of pics from Florida. These are a few weeks old so I'm sure spring has progressed further down there.

I forget the name of these flowering trees. Anyone know what they are called?

I found some solandra maxima blooming nicely in Orlando

Nice philodendrons

I really like hong kong orchid trees

Bald cypress starting to leaf out there as of mid March

Travelers palm looking perfect after a mild winter

Some Canary Island date palms looking okay.

One of my favorite spring blooms in Florida

Don't know the name of this tree, but I liked the blooms

Nice looking ti plants

Foxtail palms

HUGE hibiscus

Queen palms can look really beautiful when they are healthy

Not sure what this plant is, but it's a really nice one

Bottlebrush blooming nicely

Night pics by the hotel

Adondila

Very nice clump of banana plants

A green bismarkia looking good

More popular and more cold tolerant silver Bismarkias

Some nice Everglades Fan palm

I really like the bamboo with the bromelaids

Really nice palm. Looks like a king palm, but not completely sure

Date palm with a bromeliad mounted on it

Arengas are one of my favorite palms.

Licuala ramsyii

The coconut palms were looking great after this winter. They even had some fruit on them

A nice Butia

Azaleas were in full bloom when I was down there

Nice Screw pine

Not sure what hybrid Phoenix palm this is, but it was beautiful and HUGE

Parlor palm

Trachys aren't the best palm for Central Florida but they are planted around the theme parks.

Very nice Staghorn Fern

Sunset

Thanks for looking! Bring on Spring!
-Alex

Comments (5)

• chicago_palm
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Alex, Your Trachys look great! My Med Palm also got fried but the pups are still green. Its great to see that spring is finally here. Did your Spanish moss make it through the winter? Keith

• trishmick
    10 years ago

Just got back from SWFlorida and Orlando/Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) myself. Weather was phenomenal and the trees looked great. Collected some fresh seeds from the Washingtonias on-site. We'll see. Looked for a small Royal for my mother-in-law to drive back up to me in June at the nearby HD in Cape Coral, but the palm selection was very limited. So, I picked up what I assume are the seeds from a mid-sized one in her neighbor's yard. They did not have any fruit on them, but when I dropped them in some water, they sank like stones. Again, we'll see.

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

Lots of success stories with your overwintering. I bought a pygmy date last fall and it looks terrible after being indoors all winter. Nice update!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Keith, Thanks! The spanish moss looks good, but I think it's freeze dried. Even the moss in my garage did not pull through (probably from the lack of moisture), but it was alive well into February so it was very close to the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll definitely be replacing it all in the spring. I've noticed that Chamerops pups show more cold tolerance than the mother plant, I still have no idea why. haha. My guess is that it's because they are closer to the ground.

Thanks Trishmick! Sounds like you had a good time too! I hope you have luck with germinating the seeds you collected. I collected some loquat seeds from Florida 3 years ago and still haven't tried them. For some reason I never get around to starting seeds even when I have them right in front of me haha. I'm hoping one day to drive to Florida instead of taking a plane so I can bring back some nice seeds and plants!

Thanks Bradley! I killed 3 pygmy palms indoors in the past so I know how that feels. I have found them to be the hardest palms to grow indoors which is weird considering that they are considered pretty hardy palms. For now on mine will definitely stay in the garage over the winter.

Thanks for looking everyone!
    -Alex

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

You know....you can group Butia,Ginger,red broms and sago palms together in California...and it DOESN'T look the same. Always amazing how with no matter how much we water those same plants..just not the same even in San Diego.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor