Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How close can I plant these 2 palms?

Posted by theseventhlegend 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 12:26

I would like to know how close I can plant a Sago Palm next to a Queen Palm? I need to transplant a good sized Sago (10" across the trunk, 3 1/2 ft tall) but to place it next to my Queen Palm will be squeezing into a bordered garden. (I might have to abandon this idea) The Queen Palm is small (4" across the trunk, 4ft tall). I'm aware of the mature thickness of each trunk BUT as they mature, how close is too close? Sagos are more sensitive to fertilizer, in contrast Queens need a good feeding. So when I fertilize, I don't want to upset my Sago and if it's too close I'll have a problem. Plus planting it too close may look bad??? Anyone have any experience with this?

FYI my goal is for the Sago to be an understory palm. So basically what do you think is the closest I can place a Sago next to a Queen? How much space do I need in between each palm if they are both mature palms? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How close can I plant these 2 palms?

You can plant them fairly close, I'd say 3' apart. You may already know this, the Sagao is actually a Cycad and not a palm. Just be keeping an eye out for scale and combat it as soon as you see it. Coffee grounds work well.

o

I agree, they shouldnt have to be planted too far away from each other. But I would leave about 2 feet of room between the end of a frond on the sago palm and the trunk of the queen palm so if the sago palm makes pups, they can grow.

Good luck!

o

Thanks guys. I was concerned about rootballs and not making the garden look cluttered as it matures. 3ft of space is all I have to the border... so either it won't work or I'll just have to redo the whole garden. lol

o

I think it should be okay. If your looking for a neat and spaced out look then they will be too close, but if you are hoping that one day all the plants kind of grow into each other (like a tropical look) then that should be just enough space.

o

If you want both of your palm trees to look awesome, try planting them in a distance of 6 feet from each other, otherwise they might look to close when they grow affecting the view and coolness of the spot.

cuban cigars

Cigars

o

If you really want them to look cool......
plant some Cuban cigars all around them!

Does anybody know where to get some?

-Anybody?
Moderators?

o

I would plant at least 6 feet apart, and 8 feet is better, the sago is a slow grower and the queen palm grows much faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here