Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

Palmy visit to Bethany Beach, Delaware

wetsuiter
12 years ago

Yesterday a friend of mine in Bethany Beach, Delaware (15 miles south of me, halfway between Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City, MD) took me on a driving tour of some of the gardens he installed. He is a landscaper and tree farm owner and some of you may know Rick from another other palm forum.

Bethany is a beautiful beach resort town, but the hidden residential areas to the west of downtown are really impressive. Bethany is where many wealthy DC-area doctors, lawyers and congressmen have their weekend homes. Lots of gated communities, golf course communities and lots of canals behind properties much like South Florida. I know we have a sweet climate for some of the basic hardy palms (windmills, minors, etc) along the Delaware Beaches so that we don't really need to winter wrap those, but I think Bethany has slight advantage over the rest of the coast from what I've seen there. Rick suggests its a combination of the ocean, all the canals, salt ponds and the location of the Indian River Bay to the northwest of the area that might moderate any cold northwest winds. The thick canopy of loblolly pines also breaks the winds. I was most impressed by how many large palms are out front of homes, rather than tucked behind them and hidden by privacy fences like in my immediate area. Rick also likes to bring in plant materials from Florida that are more commonly planted in the Carolinas and farther south, so they are not normally available here. The first few photos are at the Bethany Beach Library.

Sabal minors already pushing up flower stalks that are about 20" tall.

Sabal minors pushing up flower stalks already.

One of MANY tree-form Indian Hawthorns Rick supplied or planted around the Bethany Beach area. When he showed them to me in the the winter, I was indifferent, but after seeing them in the spring was really impressed by their flowers and fragrance. Not to mention the evergreen broad leaves in the winter...

Tree-form Indian Hawthorne

Eight large Agave Americana are planted outside of the library. They've been in-ground for about three years. There is some winter damage, but Rick thinks it was the weight of the the frost cloths they draped over them rather than the temps themselves. They must be happy as there are tons of pups springing up, some up to four feet from the mother plant.

Nice sized windmill reaching up to second floor (for height perspective) with inflorescence emerging.

This is what I really wanted to see, a pindo that has been in-ground for five years or so. Probably the largest I've seen in this area (there aren't many). It does receive winter wrapping to keep moisture out, but no heat source. Mine did well this year and gives me high hopes for long term growth. Also a pretty impressive collection of needle palms by the stairs and flowering Indian Hawthorne. Lovely property overlooking a canal.

It was hard to photo this pindo due to the the angle of the sun and not wanting to trespass...

Oleander at Ricks former garden center.

Oleander pushing flower buds. Going to be stunning in a few weeks. I wish I could manage this, since so many others have impressive oleanders.

Another windmill (of many) planted out front to show the neighbors that this could be a very palmy place. You can just see the canal area behind the property before the other house. Many homeowners have boat docks back along the canals.

Pindo out in the open, but with some winter damage from the snows in 2010. More Indian Hawthorne in background.

Thanks for viewing.

Comments (5)