Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cretan Date Palm - Phoenix theophrasti

Posted by palmcityfl 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 12:37

An Ebay vendor is selling Cretan Date Palm for $5 for 3 seedlings. The seeds came from Turkey. Cretan Date Palm is one of only two palms native to Europe, the other being European Fan Palm. I haven't seen this phoenix palm in any Florida nursery for sale. I have seven different types of phoenix palms and want to add this one to my collection. Any Florida growers have experience with this palm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cretan Date Palm - Phoenix theophrasti

I've been in Crete last summer and visited famous Preveli valley where small population of Cretan Date Palm grows. This palm is a diminished copy of usual Date palm, its leaves are slightly grey-bluish, very hard with sharp ends. I've got fw seeds just from the road and 10 of them gave me seedlings. Don't know how hardy this palm is, because it's really burning oven in summer and no frosts at all in winter in southern Crete.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

• Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 22:03

I bought 3 phoenix theophrasti from the same seller on ebay.They are deasent seedlings,about 12" tall.2 of them are growing straight but one is badley curved.One thing atleast on mine,they have rust looking spots on them.I dont know if its some kind of fungis or what.They all are putting out new growth,I potted them up to 1 gallon pots.I bought them because there suppost to be the most cold hardy phoenix palm.I've had them about three weeks now.All in all they are worth the $1.99 I paid for them plus the $7.00 for shipping.I dont have any real long term experience with them.I thought I would just tell you what you will be gitting(what condition).I have mine in 3 hours of morning sun for now.I'm gradually getting them more use to the sun.As I said there all putting out new growth.I hope this helps some,good luck trying to find many people growing them,I couldent.

o

I have one in a ten gallon or bigger that I would part with. Very cool looking palm to me.

o

Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 11:12

Hey David,how much do you want for your palm?Where do you live at?Let me know.

o

You can email me by going to my name and going to my home page. I tried yours but it seems you don't receive emails.

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 22:59

Anybody happen to know where to get seeds for this particular palm inside of the USA??

o

Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 10:47

I couldent find any seeds but ebay has seedlings cheep.I bought 3 of them for $1.99.I've had them about three weeks and they are growing at a pretty good rate.

o

Berkeley botanical garden has this palm-in person they have colorful yellow/orange petioles on the fronds. They also sucker heavily with wicked thorns.

o

Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 21:19

Thanks for the advice. Will probably do the eBay thing.

o

This is not a fast growing palm so if you can buy one with size you will be ahead of the game. They take about 5 yrs to get to ten gallon from the ebay size. I think I will plant mine which is 5+ yrs old.

o

Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 17:35

I figured they were. My true date palms are grown from seed and are about as old. A lot of roots for such a small plant.

o

Just bought 10 Cretan Date Palm seedlings for $5 on ebay. That's 50 cents apiece for a palm not available in any Florida nursery.

o

They are hardy to zone 10 and they don't like humidity or rain. Get all spotty and rusty from rain. No wonder none are found in Florida. Try growing them in southern AZ and southern CA. I planted a couple in zone 8B and they died from rain and cold in "winter" exposed to a couple nights of light freeze. If you protect them from humidity and rain you can ggrow them in SoFL.

o

I now have 8 of them growing here in Lakeland. We're certainly a solid zone 9a, but definitely not close to a zone 10a like St. Petersburg, or the more southerly locales.

Mine have grown pretty well with minimal care. They just sit out in the sun and put leaves out, not to mention the usual 20 feet of roots for a 2 foot plant. I've heard that they typically sucker early and often.

My seeds were from a seller in Australia. I bought 35 seeds, but about 20 of them succumbed to mold. When you start them, make sure the dirt is barely moist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here