Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

100 years of growth

Central_Cali369
12 years ago

Hello guys,

I was on our city website today and found a photo gallery of old photos. One of them is from 1913 when the founders of our town planted 11 miles of phoenix canariensis, washingtonia robusta and washingtonia filifera. I knew the palms on our street were really old, but I'd never guess they were over 100 years old! Here are the photos for your enjoyment! :)

This photo is from 1913. This photo is from shortly after the main street in town was finished. I don't know how big these palms could have been planted. Perhaps they were planted as big as they are shown in this picture. Either way, we are coming up on 100 years since this photo was taken.

This photo is from the 1950s. The cattle are driven on the main street in town - the one with 11 miles of palms.

Here are a few shots of how the street looks today

{{gwi:1130246}}

Comments (10)

• californiamike
    12 years ago

Really love those pics. Where in California

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are in Chowchilla, CA Mike. In central, inland California, at the foot of the Sierra Nevada. Robertson Blvd is lined with palms from Avenue 20 in the West to 5th street in downtown (Robertson runs East and West). Sadly, a lot of the palms have been cleared over the years to allow larger tractors and farm equipment to enter and leave the orchards easier.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Awesome pics! It really is a beautiful road with quite a bit of history. Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Gotta love the Central Valley's climate :) Mild winters, long hot summers. I spy an Almond orchard :p lol

- US_Marine

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Great post!

Gotta wonder if those Robustas are pretty close to being out of leaves(-:

Click for weather forecast

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

wow 11 miles? My town has 4 CIDP in the plaza that are over 115 years old! They are giant but they are easily eclipsed by the coastal redwoods they planted 20 years later.

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim, I've noticed over the years, a robusta here and there that just stopped putting out leaves and croaked. Just this year, I noticed a Phoenix Canariensis that didn't flush out new fronds like the others, and the old leaves are beginning to sag down, so it looks like it is about to kick the bucket too (if it hasn't already)

US Marine, haha yep, we're surrounded for miles on all sides with Almond, Pistachio, Citrus and Olive orchards. I love passing by Citrus orchards at this time of year, the smell of literally thousands of trees blooming at once is intoxicating!

• us_marine
    12 years ago

My orange tree is just covered with flowers, and my avocado is flowering too. :)

- US_Marine

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So are mine! haha we must be growing in close proximity. This will be my first year with avocados if the blooms on the tree set fruit. I have a Mexicola Avocado. I've tried the Hass here, but it's just too cold. As far as citrus go, I have Satsuma Tangerines, Valencia Orange, Cara Cara Navels, Minneola Tangelos, Bearss Lime and Meyer Lemon. The yard smells heavenly.

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Avocados sure are difficult. They will not make it in the open, but if you can find a nice spot under canopy, or next to buildings they will do pretty well if it doesn't freeze much or get alot of wind. I'm sure if you look around you'll find a bunch. There a few very large ones around my area in pretty good spots, they are of different varieties. I'm guessing they have been around for at least 20 or so years judging by the size of the trunk and how tall they are. I think I have the hardy avocado though.

- US_Marine