Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off-topic/pomegranate

Posted by mastiffhoo Lynchburg, va (brianandshannonk@verizon.net) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 13:47

I have noticed several local nurseries (not the big box variety) selling wonderful pomegranate. After doing some research, I have noticed various sites say zone 7 others zone 8. Does anyone have any insight on this??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off-topic/pomegranate

I would guess probably zone 8, maybe the higher end of zone 7, idk forsure because it doesnt really get that cold here. The tree themselves seem to be hardy. But the leaves, especially the new leaves will burn with light to moderate frost. But when they are dormant frost isnt much of a problem as long as it isnt too cold.
Hope this helps a little.

- US_Marine

o

I have the dwarf variety that is basically grown for its flowers. This particular type is very cold hardy--at least to Zone 7a. Don't know about the typical variety--but my guess is zone 7a/7b, and remember, microclimates around the house can be much milder. Go for it!

o

I planted an Angel Red just over a year ago. It adapted easily and even gave me two fruits the first year that tasted pretty good. The trees are worth it for the flowers alone.

o

They do very well here at our beaches. The flowers are spectacular. Like an orange carnation. I've also seen verigated orange and white. I saw BIG fruiting ones down in Smith Island, Maryland out in the middle of Chesapeake Bay. Baseball sized fruit, that really caught me off guard!

o

Thanks for the info guys, I did purchase and planted it over the weekend. It would be very nice to have some to snack on in a few years :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here