Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

grwing potted cocos here we go again

andyandy
15 years ago

After a two year Hiatus I'm going to try it again. I have two sprouted talls and 1 Somaon on the way. I got a tall to grow for two years on my first attemt. I didn't think I would try again but for $45.00 + shipping I'll give it a go. My Butia, Sabal Palmetts, and Mule went out last night. One Roebi out tomorrow morning (even if for only a couple of days). My Sabal Texecana seedlings go out tonight and my Bottle seedlings will go out for the day tomorrow (69 and sunny) and Saurday (70 and sunny). It's nice to be counting down the days when everything will be out and not the months.

Comments (12)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

I have a potted coco with over a foot of stem and about 6' fronds. It just isn't warm enough in the S.F. bay area for a potted plant that needs warm nights to grow much outdoors,so mine will stay indoors all year.
    Besides,I have tried to see how long and what happens when they are grown outdoors here. And at the least,acclimating to sunlight,then back to indoors is too much stress. It's one or the other here. And outdoors might be possible for one winter with a sheltered, covered, cocos...I dont see a long term unless I put in outrageous personal effort with coverings and winter artificial heating. Eh,why bother when I can grow King and Howea palms?

• andyandy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I got mine to grow before I kept it in a south facing window all winter. It got sun (all be it week Michigan winter) all day. It always showed growht though. It got pretty big but in April (2007) it died, it was frustrating because I just needed it to make it another 8 weeks and it would have been in full sun again.

• chachacharlie
    15 years ago

Well I've had my coconut in the same pot for over 3 years now and it's doing great. It is now pushing a brand new spear and loving the longer, sunny spring days here in San Francisco (I keep it indoors only). Good luck to you! Just keep it warm, bright and watered.

15 years ago

Yeah,I would bet that the reserves in that coconut shell ran out long ago and it's now doing well on it's own roots in that pot,Jack. People don't realize that the Malayan dwarf is only a quarter or less the height of those big Coconuts in the Carib. So,keeping them indoors to a few feet of trunk can make them a long term potted plant. I've seen pics of indoor coconuts that had 3-4' of trunk..I've NEVER seen an indoor Majesty with 3-4' of trunk. I would take Malayan dwarf over the other home depot special (majesty) any day.
    btw,Nothing make people ooooh,like a real living coconut indoors. They have a certain panache!

15 years ago

And Andy-you might find it worthwhile to invest in a metal halide lamp for your coconut indoors next winter-for sure it won't die of light deprivation.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have several grow lights. I use them on overcast days (which is about all pf January and Feb around here.

15 years ago

Theres grow lights and then there's the Metal Halides...a 400 watt halide would not only make a coco happy,but if it was on a timer might inspire a winter frond or two..although it's my experience with indoor and greenhouse cocos,they do pretty much sit in the short days. BUT,as soon as Feb or March(in a greenhouse) longer days start,they resume.
    Also,Cocos are not especially fast as one or two year old potted plants-after that (again,greenhouse) they grow very fast. Mine is going into its second summer...a repot very soon as its rivaling my old greenhouse grown plant. I think I just got lucky with present coco as it's larger than most you see for sale at a non south Florida Home Depot. After I repot and put some white sand around the base with a piece of coral or two,I will post a pic.

15 years ago

My indoor cocos. And I'm going for years of growth too.

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

I've just started one again just in time for Summer. Hopefully it will survive this time!

15 years ago

A better pic.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks great, may be time to re-pot that one.

• hatemajestypalms
    11 years ago

Stanofh right there with ya! I would take the cocos and pamper it to the max. I, being a minnesotan, have seen plenty of malnourished majesties inside churches and other places. I saw 10 palms in a church in a outlying suburb that were dry as a desert, with 1 to 3 plants in a pot, they looked like they havent been watered in weeks. On the verge of death i guess, but hey theyre cheap inexpensive sh*tty palms that dont last a month or 2 in a average household. I have 2 and im already up to my neck in ferting them every damn 2 weeks OR LESS, just to keep them clumsy palms green. Watering is no problem for me, its the growers and the big box stores fault for letting R.rivularis dominate the "indoor plants" market when they shouldve been left to there own in Madagascar. I hate the palms that have fronds that point towards the Moon, that shows that the plant was grown in a dark greenhouse too quickly and is very weak and WILL DIE after about a month and a half or less if given water once a month or week and NO fert. When im a senior in a nursing home,i bet that nursing home will have a majesty or 3!but majesties will still be in big box stores i bet ya when i am 66 years of age. (if im still here on this rapidly warming earth). To answer your question, i HAVE NEVER seen a trunking majesty in MN. People snap these up like hot cakes at HD and Lowes which is sad because all they are buying is a buncha problems. I have never seen a majesty in the trash, though thats were the palms that people bought will soon be :).