Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Do you own a mini coconut palm tree?

bananafan
10 years ago

Does anyone here own a mini coconut palm tree (Lytocaryum weddellianum)? I've read that it is a very small tree with height of 4-6 ft and produces small edible coconut palm nuts.

If you have some planting experience to share of this variety of coconut tree, or anything that you might have known or have of, your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• siegel2
    10 years ago

Here's mine, but its too young to produce seeds. Likes a shady, filtered sun place in the garden.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cagary,

That is a very cute little mini coconut palm you have there. So, how old is it now? When do you think it will produce seeds for you? Did you start the plant from seeds yourself?

It's nice that it will take shaded place. I'm thinking of getting one and do have a lot of shaded area in my garden, so it's good to know.

Thank you so much for sharing Cagary. I hope your little guy will grow quickly for you. Do post update again when it has grown again.

• siegel2
    10 years ago

I got it about 5 years ago as a small one gallon size plant from Jeff at Floribunda Plams on the Big Island.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

bananafan
    Ever attend the sales at Searle bros. in Lauderdale??
    They stock well over 300 species lol They are wholesale but have retail twice a year.. Can see a lot of different specie in many different sizes. Warning take lots of money lol gary

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Gary, for the heads up. It sounds very interesting. If I have the time and $, I definitely would like to go. In the mean time, I'm going to read more about them. Have you been there yourself? How was it like for you? Do they have a website?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    yes they have a website google searle bros nursery.
    A great advantage is you get to see the rarieties in various stages of growth a lot of first hand culture info.
    I haven't been there in several years mostly due to the prices and i blow all my money on orchids and aroids lol
    I bought a sealing wax seedling there which I promptly killed lol Still have the silver joey that I bought in 2000.
    And a red jade vine which I killed also lol
    Go a little further and take in the Fairchild gdns sales
    At the fall show they had 225 dealers showing 14000 species !! Costs 20 bucks to get in but you can also tour the garden . A word of warning you'll spend FAR more money than you planned and you'll come home with a lot of plants that you've never even heard of let alone thought you could take care of. lol You can get the schedule on the website gary

• Dillon Flanders
    6 years ago

are the mini coconut palms good to grow indoors due to there small hieght?