Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new areca palm problem

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 14:17

Hello all,

I am just south of San Diego and recently got an Areca palm for outside near the entry. It looked beautiful when I first got it and now it's going down hill.
I've been watering it well, I sprinkled slow-release fertilizer with micros.
The problem I think is that I put it into a big pot with soil I purchased from guy selling dirt in a pick up truck. I wasn't thinking and purchased it and it has a lot of non-broken-down plant material which I know is bad as it can rob nitrogen.
The pictures aren't that great but I don't know if you can if it's a nutrient deficiency, or damage from cold. I don't think it's damage from cold because it never got below 40 degrees when I first got it and now we never dip below 50s at night. Can that low still cause "damage"?
If it doesn't seem to get better, I'm gonna have to get some palm and cactus mix and replant it and hopefully coming into summer it will improve.
Thanks!

Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Another picture of the leaf

Here's another picture

o
RE: new areca palm problem

Looks like the leaves are burned. Give it time and water good and it will be fine. Watch the leaves and see what they do. It might get worse before it gets better.

o
burned?

Thanks for the reply. Burned from sun or fertilizer? It has never ever been in direct sun so I know it's not that and I did fertilize once it settled in but I use less than the recommended rate.

I did read about fluoride toxicity and am wondering if that could be it. I had been watering with tap water. Although since about two weeks ago I switched to reverse osmosis water for it. Hopefully it will get better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here