Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen palm seed help

Posted by cjman San Diego (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 14:30

hi, i have some queens that are growing some seeds and i need some basic instructions on how to plant them. Ive seen a couple different ways of how to grow them (such as leaving them in water and taking skin off, let them sit in sun for a couple days, put in ziploc bag, blah blah etc.) i was wondering if someone in southern california can give me some straight and to the point instructionns plz!! maybe some pictures too. and also should i be taking the seeds off the tree or wait until they fall? thanks a million!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen palm seed help

Let me save you a LOT of time... WAIT TILL THEY'RE ORANGE

I wasted a lot of time last year trying to germinate green queen palm seeds. Finally I gave up. When they turned orange, I tried again and had a 90% success rate. The insane thing is that the seeds were dropping to the floor as is and I mulched them over by mistake. Now I have 10 accidental palms growing.

So, they ARE easy to grow if you wait til they are ripe (orange). If squirrels start eating them, don't worry, there are enough for them too

Once they are orange, take off the skin and all the flesh, leaving the bare seed. Scrape off all the hairs you can. The better you scrape, the less chance your seeds will have of rotting.

Then I soak them in a glass of water for about 3 days, changing the water every day.

After the water, I put them in plastic bags with some humid peat moss. If you want to accelerate the process like I did, put them under a lamp. Try not to burn them though. Your target temperature should be upper 80s, lower 90s (fahrenheit).

After that, wait a month or two (more like 2).

Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here