Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Mexican Fan Palm

Posted by jarvinen MICH (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 14:35

I've got a young Mexican Fan Palm in a pot. Any tips or advice for growing this palm indoors (in Michigan)? Do's and dont's?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Mexican Fan Palm

I have a Phoenix canariensis that sits on my patio from late april til' halloween or just before. Would your tree spend some time outside?

o

Washingtonia Robusta has to have sun or it will
eventually die.

o

These are fast growing large palms. Keep it in direct sun if you can and move it outside when the threat of frost has passed. Over pot it. Increase the pot size it is in 50% each summer until it gets too big to move.

o

They make for great patio palms! They love all the sun you can give them and a well drained soil. If you can swing it, they would also appreciate a nice cool location over winter. (Mine are overwintered in range of 40-60 degrees in a sunny, attached garage). My summer climate can be very wet (monsoon-like) so I don't increase pot size too dramatically as I want the surface to dry somewhat between waterings. Why do I love them? A few years back, I ordered a large variety of bare-rooted palms. All kinds of exotics from all over the world. Only, the seller didn't have any robusta in stock, so he kindly included a weed he had growing beside his house. It looked like a single blade of grass. All the bare-rooted exotics eventual died; the washingtonia is pushing five feet with enormously wide leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here