Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deuce813

new addition

deuce813
14 years ago

well, after this past winter, I discovered that a mature triple christmas palm would not suited for this area. It's now time to replace it with a cold hardy species. I chose the phoenix sylvestris, and got what i think to be an incredible deal from a guy in ft. myers who has a field of 1000 plants, at an unbelievable price, $50 per ft. of clear trunk, and an extra 25 ft. for the diamond cut. It was a hour and half drive for me each way, but well worth it. The lowest price I found around here was 175 ft. Excuse all the other plants,as i'm in the middle of redoing my landscape

Comments (15)

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing what you will do with the rest of your landscape also! The florida freeze is really getting people to plant hardier species (just like back during the last bad freeze), but since you are in florida, there are still countless other nice tropical style plants to chose from!

Good luck!

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

Nice palm! It should do well there. My brother has one in Spring Hill and it's doing very nicely.
    I have to tell you thoughI'd definitely lose the scalloped cement blocks. So 70's and tacky. In my opinion they make the landscape look cheap. Just my two cents.

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

Looks very good nice and healthy.

• deuce813
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i've got the decorative curbing being done on may 5th.its a work in progress.any suggestions on shrubs for around the tree

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

Not being able to see the shape and size of your yard, this is just a guess. I'd try to include the palm in a large, curving bed that starts from the corner of your house (when that curbing you mentioned is installed). I think I'd use something low right around the palm itself.........more like a groundcover so that you don't hide that gorgeous trunk! You could use some medium shrubs elsewhere in the planting bed, to compliment but not hide the palm.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Great looking palm!
    I am sure it will be happy in it's new home!

• statenislandpalm7a
    14 years ago

The palm looks nice i see a Robelini and a cordyline in the back ground. the Cordyline looks really good when it gets to tree size

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

Congratulations!!!

Beautiful Palm!!!

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

crinums are also nice especially the "queen emma' one that has red leaves. Plumerias are great if you are looking for a nice tree. Philodendrons are really nice too. The tree philodendron is a nice shrub, and there are others that would look really nice climbing up the trunk of a palm. cordylines would look good too. Some such as hawaiian ti plants are sensitive to a frost, but are worth protecting because they have so many colors and there are others such as cordyline australius (spelling?) which is sometimes called the cabbage tree (not to be confused with sabal palmetto or cabbage palm). They come in reddish or purple colors too and can handle temps around 20 degrees (the green one can handle down to 15F). Sago palms might look really nice too because they have a similar leaf form to date palms.

Good luck!

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    14 years ago

Well done and a great selection. Phoenix sylvestris is a very nice palm and sounds like you got a smokin' deal too!

Cheers, las_palmas_norte.

• deuce813
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the responses and suggestions. Still not sure what I'm going to plant around it, but will def keep everyone updated. I did score a Toro 14 light low voltage kit unopened on craigslist for 70 bucks, so i thought it was a good deal. I look forward to seeing the palm lit up by some of the flood lights it came with at night. I may do the area around the palm with some ground cover, possible some jasmin minima, i think is what its called.Keep the suggestions coming.

• deuce813
    Original Author
    13 years ago

major update: I've been very busy lately, so i haven't gotten everything done yet, but I have accomplished some stuff. check it out

• deuce813
    Original Author
    13 years ago

and here's one more. Close up of the phoenix sylvestris palm.

• deuce813
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. More input is always helpful.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Looks great so far! Are those flowering plants ixoras? As for adding something plumeria pudica would do well and unlike most other plumerias, it retains most of its leaves even in the winter. Its somewhat cold tolerant but will need protection if anything lower than 32F occurs (and it will lose its leaves in a frost).
    Or you can always try some bananas. Ae ae is probably one of my favorates but unfortunately its not very cold tolerant and is very very expensive (small plants a year in age and 3 feet tall usually go for 100 maybe up to 200 dollars). Ice cream bananas are pretty cold tolerant (will brown in a freeze but can come up from the low 20s and maybe teens). The the ice cream banana (which is also reffered to as blue java) has fruit that is suppose to have a slight vanilla taste to it. If you really wanted a hardy banana than musa basjoo is your choice. That would survive a tampa winter even during the ice age! Cold tolerant to below 0F especially when established, but not planted in central florida because it doesnt make edible fruit so I dont think this is the banana for you.

Also ti plants and hibiscus are good options but not fans of a frost. I hear that screw pines were only slightly damaged in the Orlando area which has very similar temps to Tampa so thats another plant worth trying.

Whatever you decide to plant there, Im sure it will look great!
    Good luck!
    -Alx