Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realbusy

SAGO leaves turning yellow.... :(

realbusy
11 years ago

Hi all, early spring here in NJ..my sago in my room leaves turning yellow then tannish and drying out (Pinchy---owwww) no new leaves coming out at all :( I have it inside obviously), water it once a week,repotted 9 months ago in tropical mix, fed it just the other day... at my wits end, is this plant a goner and what did I do wrong.?? It's In a north window, (I know not the greatest but only place for it till summer on deck).......*sad*......got it originally for my tropical bedroom themed remodel.... also Croton, same window, lost all it's color (?)... I'm guessing not enough light for these guys??

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

I moved my cycads out about one week ago. They
    will be in shade outside for another week to
    adapt to higher light. Then, they will go into
    full sun but with some protection from strongest sun.
    You should not be feeding it in that low light.
    Mine ususally flush outside from June till September.
    You don't want it to flush inside now as the growth will
    be weak and almost deformed. These are rugged plants
    --not easy to kill. Even without leaves, they will
    recoup. Get them outside if possible.

• realbusy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you sooooo much, what can I say I'm clueless... pretty much first "Tropical" plants I've owned..so even if all the leaves trun brown, hang onto the plant,huh? hope it comes back it was nice when I bought it, do you know aanything about this colorless croton????

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, absolutely the Sago WILL come back. I have had ones defoliated for months...given up on, on the compost heap...start to shoot foliage. Too early for this to occur here in the North. Sagos are really more subtropical than tropical. Mine overwinter in a cold garage from mid December to mid March and at this point are much too massive and prickly for indoors. In a house, they are prone to mealy bugs and just seem to go into decline eventually. They just really seem to resent indoor life but are not quite hardy enough to overwinter in ground with our cold and WET winters. Sorry, but the not a good 'houseplant', in my opinion. Sounds like that north window is kind of dark, croton will want more sun. Also, not the easiest of plants for indoors. Good luck!

• realbusy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it figures I picked the most unfriendly houseplants..LOL.. I will try your garage idea for the sago to go dormant next year..if it survives in the mean time, i put it outside as you suggested. The croton IDK what the heck I;m gonna do with yet....do you have any other suggestions for EASY to grow indoor tropical or tropical looking plants for my polynesian inspired themed bedroom??thanks for all your help and insight....

• User
    11 years ago

Cat palms (chamaedoreas in general), raphis (lady palms), all easy. Kentia too is good.

Maybe mix in some Dracaena (corn plant better than marginata)

• xerophyte NYC
    11 years ago

Cycads are not good houseplants for all year. They really need outdoor sun and warmth from spring to fall, then you can do whatever you want with them indoors as long as they stay on the dry side. Mealies are definitely their biggest indoor enemy. A cold garage is ideal for overwintering.

• realbusy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much you guys....

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Chamaedoreas almost do better for me inside then they do outside! A nice bright room and normal waterings are all they need.
    Spindle palms are one of my favorite indoor palms because they do well indoors and give off a really tropical look since they actually form a really nice (and fat) trunk!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• steve_nj
    10 years ago

Although Cycas revoluta is not 'hardy' in N.J., I've found it to be 'growable'. I have two outdoors year round, one having been through 3 winters. They're in sandy soil. When lows are in the upper 20's, I cover with a blanket with plastic on top and topped with a generous amount of leaves. They're uncovered in March.Both have some green foliage, although defoliation won't kill them.