Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Patience wearing thin

trishmick
11 years ago

Normally have all plants outside by now...and most annuals planted, including veggies. Now, around here, being right up against the Atlantic, Spring can take its time to arrive. But this is ridiculous. It has been below average for the past 3 months...and it would be refreshing to go even 5 days or more without drenching rain or gale force winds. Week ahead not promising yet again. May not hit 60 until Fri. My large Windmill has endured some brutal short term temps and feet of snow, but is having a hard time with all the chilly precip. After Sandy, we need beach season to be here now. My largest plumeria has two flower stalks going, but will not see the outdoors anytime soon...

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

It's cold, you are right. Even more depressing, way cold too in the Deep South! Freeze warnings deep into the South tonight! We won't turn till they do. I am 60 F. going down to 36, but much colder in suburbs to north, west, and southwest. A shock especially since last Spring was freaky HOT!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Cheer up-you could be here,only 45 yesterday and 28F here last night.

Approaching 6" of rain for the month and another rainstorm at least next
    week with another day in the 40s possible,by Wednesday things look
    to gradually improve and the temps continually rise from there so maybe,
    just maybe we will finally pull out of this-been saying that since Feb but
    one of these times it has to be right!

• trishmick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Startin' to feel like I am in Iowa. 44 degrees outside right now with very gusty winds and occasional rain. I mean...it's April 23rd. Wouldn't mind so much if it was the exception, but this has been more the norm for a long time now. One thing I don't get...it's been Spring officially for over a month, and the Weather Channel is referring to all of the snow and frigid temps in the Midwest and Rockies as Winter storm this or that......huh?

• Kokomo-JB
    10 years ago

I've spoken with landscape designers and nurseries here on Long Island and most say that by this time of the year they are swamped with orders and this year you can hear the crickets chirping. Nobody up here has gotten Spring Fever due to this never ending limbo of end of winter weather.
    Cheated out of another Spring. Sometimes Mother Nature can be a Mother F@$%er.

Oh Yeah-I forgot to mention....This is the year of the Cicada for the East Coast. Lots of fun to be had towards the end of the summer(sar)...crunch crunch crunch where ever you walk. Got to be the lamest, dumbest bugs I've ever seen.

• User
    10 years ago

Well, looks like Spring has FINALLY sprung! Spring is the very briefest of seasons here. Everything is delayed...just hope we have at least a few weeks of mild weather before the blast furnace of summer begins. My perrenials are all coming in, would be nice for a prolongest floral season. Fairly dry though, and the pollen is killing me w.o. any rain.

As for cicada, I love them! A few years ago, for whatever reason, we heard NONE. It was so bizarre and almost frightening not to hear their almost deafening call in the summer. Sounds like this will be a loud summer. Happy gardening!

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I feel your pain! I ended up taking all of my tropicals out last week because at this point its time to despite the temperatures. If I wait until it's really warm out, the sun will be so high that the leaves will burn too much.
    Forecast for the next 10 days is a little on the below average side, I'd like to see some warm weather soon. Looks like I won't be planting my tropicals in the ground for a few more weeks since it's still not really warm enough yet for them to grow.
    -Alex

• the_virginian
    10 years ago

Trachys do not mind cool conditions like that and do very well in places with very little summer heat like the Pacific Northwest and Great Britain.

• andyandy
    10 years ago

Finally broke here, Saturday was sunny and 69. Best day all year, rained all day yesterday but was 60. 80 and sunny next couple of days so I expect to see firat growth spurt since fall. Hang in there.

• wetsuiter
    10 years ago

Back in the gloom and cool again. We need the rain ahead of the growing season, especially since summers here have been extra dry for years.