Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Coconut palms: Talls v Dwarfs....

us_marine
12 years ago

Anyone who has grown either one or both kinds chime in please :) What ones do you like best, and what ones have grown best for you?

Are the talls really easier to grow than the dwarfs? I never had luck with the tall type of coco's. I've always had luck with the dwarf's. Although all the talls I got weren't in the best state of health, they still should have recovered anyway though. Temps were nice outside (above 90f) and would be like that for months; I made sure they got shade and filtered light so they wouldnt burn. They were watered well also, yet none survived. But all the dwarfs I got never gave me problems.

That makes me wonder if it varies from climate to climate? Maybe the dwarfs can take low humidity better than the talls? That could explain my luck with the dwarfs.

- US_Marine

Comments (6)

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    12 years ago

I've grown two Malayan Dwarfs and a Jamaican Tall. The tall didn't do so well, but it was shipped bare root. The dwarfs do ok, but definitely need covered at a minimum when we get our cold snaps.

I'd like to get a tall that is already in a pot, and try that out.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

During the summer months Talls and Dwarfs both grow great, but when they are indoors for the winter the Tall coconut outperforms the dwarf big time! The Tall just looks much greener and grows faster too. I got my Tall in August 2010 and my dwarf in June 2009 and the tall already looks older! The Tall does not have split fronds yet even though it is taller than me whereas the Dwarf has been making split fronds for at least a year now.
    I'll post a comparison pic of them both in a few hours if I can! Right now I have to go outside and do some cleaning!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ kinzyjr- I wont buy bare rooted, all the ones I got like that died. But the ones in containers do pretty well and transplant fine too. It seems to be difficult to find any coconut palms here. But I'm sure they are readily stocked near you. If not you are lucky enough to live a drive away from where they can be grown with ease. You can probably find some very large ones there too. :)

@ tropicalzone7- Hmmmmmm, that is interesting. The darker fronds are no surprise, the malayan dwarfs like what we have are supposed to be a light yellowish-green. I kinda like it though, it stands out from other palms very fast. As for the faster growth, I wonder why. I tend to get slow growth in winter. This frond is taking forever to open, but it already has another spear making its way up. Either that frond is lagging, or the palm is happy.

Good luck everyone. :)

- US_Marine

• User
    12 years ago

Personally I prefer the dwarfs or semi-dwarfs. Just more practical in the North as a seasonal indoor/outdoor plant. The talls don't divide their
    leaves until they are----tall.

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    12 years ago

@US_marine: You are correct with bare root. I doubt the survival rate is over 10% judging by how quickly it declined and died. Most of the stores carry Malayan Dwarfs, but don't see much in the way of Talls. I'd actually like to have an Atlantic Tall. Much better suited to Florida.

• tropicbreezent
    12 years ago

I've got all talls, of various sizes. But I'd like to get some dwarfs. The ones growing around the place seem to get really loaded with fruit. Or at least they look it. Might be just their small size makes it look like they're more loaded than usual.