Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockysth1

chamaerops humilis cerifera & needle palms

rockysth1
15 years ago

I was at Lowes today in illinois and they had some really nice CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS CERIFERA & Needle palm for 26.98. how hardy are the CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS CERIFERA ,This one was about 1 1/2 ft tall with 16 plants in it, the Needle was about the same size but only 2 plants , but still a good deal I thought, can any one give any info on the CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS CERIFERA

Thanks

Comments (26)

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

Hello The lowes here in orland park has some nice cold hardy palms in blue pots for sale.

• denninmi
    15 years ago

I had a really nice European Fan Palm that I overwintered outside under really heavy shelter a few years. It always did just fine. One winter, it was in a foamboard structure wrapped in fiberglass and sandwiched between garbage cans full of water for thermal mass. A couple of other years, it was buried in a deep trench with heavy mulch over the top.

Alas, the final winter in the trench, voles got into it and ate the entire crown and root system, so no more European fan.

I think they are roughly hardy to Sabal minor in cold tolerance.

WHAT KIND OF LOWE'S DO YOU GUYS HAVE? Amazing. At the ones here in Michigan, they get 20,000 pots each of Emerald Green Arborvitae, Flowering Dogwood, Knockout Roses, Little Princess Spirea, and Butterfly Bush. And, more or less, that's it. NOTHING cool like others have found around the country.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

My very small C,cerifera saw 14F or less this winter,covered and protected from moisture.

• spataro51
    15 years ago

mike, what does the orland lowes have in stock? i think i will have to take a ride :)

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

Brian I didnt talk to anyone today at lowes. Yesterday my wife went there and said they had palms in I will drive out tomorrow to.

denninmi The lowes near us has lots of customers requesting palms last year and they continued that this year.

• eli17zn6
    15 years ago

I went through 4 Lowes Stores IN the North Shore of MA, I found was flowers and more flowers and green common evergreens.
    the only palms were Majesties I saw in those 4 Lowes Stores and I saw Taxodium Distictum being sold but i have no money to buy it.

How do you guys in N. Illinois get those cold hardy Palms?

• rockysth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They told me the lady who does the ordering had people requesting them and thats what she did, Find out who does the ordering and talk with them, They get to pic out some stuff to try in their area from request
    Guy

• eli17zn6
    15 years ago

Sorry for calling you a guy, I didn't mean to offend you rocksyth1, thanks for the information.

• rockysth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am a Guy , and that is my name LOL, I wasnt offended at all

• fr8train
    15 years ago

lol

Looks like I might be taking a trip up to the suburbs this weekend...

• rockysth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fr8train, where are you from, all they gave left is some fairly nice windmills and C,cerifera I got the only needle that I seen, but I am calling her today to see if she can get more,

• fr8train
    15 years ago

rockysth1

I'm about ~30 miles southwest of Aurora/Naperville. I was going to check out the Lowes in Orland Park today, but I gave them a call and they said they're all out and will be getting more soon (tomorrow afternoon). Maybe I'll head out Thursday night, that is, unless you guy's clear em' out first. :)

What are they selling for btw?

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

I am going to lowes thursday also if you want to wait could let you know if they got more in this shipment. It might be the next one. I asked tony he works days in the nursery for palms he said washingtonias trachys sabals needles mediteranean and a few other palms and 3 types of cold hardy bamboo and cycads are on his list so far but if you want something else he can have it brought in on the next shippent of plants

• fr8train
    15 years ago

I would definitely appreciate the heads up Mike, as I'm not exactly sure when I'm going. I may bug them a few more times still via phone. All of those palms sound great! Sounds like they got all the cold hardy's covered, apart from a few obscure ones like Trithrinax maybe. Kind of surprised that people are interested enough for them to do this.

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

Well I went to lowes and tony said nothing will be arriving for another week maybe two

• fr8train
    15 years ago

I went wednesday afternoon since I was in the area anyway, and they told me they have a shipment coming in the 29th. Just a heads up.

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Just keep asking and maybe they will get them in.
    I am in Buford, Ga but several Lowes here and a few HomeDepots have cold hardy palms.
    Prices vary with location.
    Some are reporting on the hardy palm forum of $12.97
    The cheapest I found was $22 for 3 gallon. Still a great deal.
    5 gallon 60$ and 7 gallon 99$

Sabal louisiana

Waggie palm

C.H. cerifera

I went back and bought 2 pindos and another cerifera 3 gallon size for $22.

• fr8train
    15 years ago

Wow!

I would love to see those here for those prices! That waggie looks great. When I talked to the guy at lowes in orland park, he told me that have needles instock, but when he took me to the palms they were roebelenii's. I hope they get some good ones at some point in the year. Thanks for the pic's cactusfreak!

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

very nice pics cactus freak.

fr8train Im sure they will get what you need.

• fr8train
    14 years ago

I was told that they'd get trachy's, washingtonia's, and so on, on the 29th which is today. Well I gave Orland Park another call today, but unfortunately they have nothing by majesty's and roebelenii's. I asked whether their order came in, and I was told that it did, however no cold hardy's came in.

Maybe next time. :(

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

I went through this last year They will get them in.

• spataro51
    14 years ago

i just got off the phone with lowes orland park.......they are calling me 2morrow afternoon.....i am goona get a 5-6 foot coconut palm, 3 foot of trunk windmill or waggie (depending on price) and a washingtonia with 3-4 feet of trunk. they want to make sure their growers have them in stock and if they do they are going to ship them up here with no shipping charges, and i can just pick them up at the store. i will keep everyone updated.

• fr8train
    14 years ago

So did you place order through them, or did they just start stocking the store Mike? I look forward to hearing (and maybe seeing your palms) Spataro. Let me know if there is anything left!

Thanks for the update btw

• spataro51
    14 years ago

fr8train i didn;t order yet......i am awaiting for their call back.....sometime this afternoon. they said Once they know they can get them they will ship them up here asap and they will be held for me or they said i can purchase them over the phone.

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

Last year they just started to stock some then I asked them to order more and they did.

• spataro51
    14 years ago

Mike, what did u get from the last year? I got my majesty ans some canna.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor