Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmgirl_gw

Bismarck Palm-- In Pot; need to put in ground! HELP!

palmgirl
17 years ago

I just got a very nice large (about 12 feet diameter; same height) Bismarckia nobilis (Silver Beauty) palm. It's been grown in a pot. It was growing so large that it was bursting out of the pot. So we had to dig some of the surface roots out of the ground where it was sitting for a long time. Then we moved it to my house on a truck.

It is now sitting in my yard, in the shade, waiting for me to dig a hole and put it in the ground, in its permanent home.

My question is this: I've read that bismarck palms are sensitive to transplant, and that root pruning is a good idea. Would root pruning also be recommended when transplanting a bismarck palm from a pot to the ground? Most sources seem to be referencing transplanting bismarcks from field grown to ground, in which case root pruning is recommended. But I'm not sure if root pruning is also recommended when the bismarck palm has lived its entire life in a pot. HELP! I really love this palm and don't want to kill it.

Also... since the palm may need to remain in its current pot for a couple more weeks, how often should I water it?

And should I prune the lower, dying branches off the palm now, or wait until after it's been transplanted to its new home?

Sorry for all the questions! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• topher2006
    17 years ago

Palmgirl

I can't speak for any one else but i never cut the roots
    when i transplanted my bismarck i just dug a deeper hole
    i always cut the dead fronds off it is a five gallon and doing great !
    I WOULD WAIT TILL AFTER THE TRANSPLANT PROBALY A WEEK AFTER WOULD BE SUFFICIENT..
    Bismarcks require very little water they do not like to be wet make sure where you put it is in a good draining area !
    i realy love these they are great palms... Good Luck !!

• cycadjungle
    17 years ago

I think the confusion is in that root pruning can mean different things to different people. What they are telling you is that if you are digging the plant up from being field grown, you can damage too many roots by just digging it up all at once. When people with field growing operations want to minimize the stress, you cut some of the roots and then a couple of months later, after those roots have heeled in a little, you cut a few more roots. By the third time, you dig it up and only a third of the roots are freshly cut during the actual move. This plant was in a pot and you already cut some of the roots that were going in the ground. That is all the root cutting you need to do. It is possible, depending on how many roots that was, that even that can stress your plant. If I was doing this, I'd cut some leaves. All plants have bottoms and tops and there is a ratio between the two that create the balance as it was growing. The more roots you cut, the more leaves you should remove. That is something only you know the answer to. I'd cut a few of the good leaves myself, just to make sure. they can grow back in time. As it is, after it is planted, if you see more leaves turning brown, you will know you should have cut a few more off. The plant will show you in advance what the balance is.

• palmgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much, topher and cycadjungle! Sounds as though root pruning is not really something that needs to be done for pot-grown bismarckias. That's good to know! And I think I'll cut a few of the brown bottom leaves off now. Seems to me that this might help de-stress the palm, since dying fronds would probably sap some of the growing energy? I'm no real expert, but this sounds logical to me.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that my beautiful bismarckia thrives after transplant!

Thanks again!

Palmgirl

• steve0910
    15 years ago

Where is this nursery located? All material grown on site?

• danielfrommissouri
    15 years ago

I went to realpalmtrees and they answered her question and also a couple of mine, and sold me a Sago Palm Tree. Thanks jasgar for recommending me to the site. They have good info on a bunch of different varieties of palms and exotic ones too...

Here is a link that might be useful: exotic palms

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting