dixieboy
12 years ago

Our butia is take'in full advantage!

{{gwi:1131802}}

Comments (9)

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey dixieboy,
    That pindo looks like it's enjoying this warm spring weather.I haven't had any luck with my pindo palms this year.Everyone of them but one has spear pull or some rot from all the rain we had in March.Now it hasn't rained in two weeks,that may be a good thing since they have rot.The only one that doesn't have rot has thrips,I discovered today in the top of the trunk.I sprayed them all today with a Fungicide and Insecticide combined.The rest of the palms I have don't have any damage or insect problems.I don't know if I will keep trying to grow any Butia palms if this keeps happening.At Least I can still look at yours and other peoples in pictures.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Randy, do you do any winter protection for your pindos? My first pindo came through this mild winter beautifully. It was wrapped with burlap and Tyvek house wrap with leaf cage Arlington base. It doubled in size last year, so this year it should get some good growth. First new spear of the season is opening.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's to bad Randy, i would say maybe drainage but ours is in this ole black low coastal soil & drainage is a problem also but i've really have not had any problems to speak of except a few low temp years. The only insect problem seems to be leaf skeletonizer but i've been trying different methods to be rid of it & seems to be less this year.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

wetsuiter,
    I don't use protection except maybe a frost cloth.I put it over the pindos every time it rained,except if it rained while I was at work.Our lowest temp.this past winter was *18,only twice.

dixieboy,
    I know it's not a drainage problem.I test the holes I dig by pouring water in them and seeing how long it takes for it to drain away.Each hole drained within 5 minutes,most drained quicker.I think it's a couple factors causing the problems.One being our wild temp.swings.Our temp.this morning was *40 and our high today was *80,that's a forty degree temp.change in less than 24hrs.The greatest temp.swing has been *53 on at least 5 or 6 times that I know of.This past march was the warmest ever on record since 1812,so the weather man said.Two being that all the pindos I have I bought from HD.The ones they get are grown in Miami,Florida,where they never experience cold weather.So there not holding up to how cold hardy there supposed to be.Three being nobody in neighborhood even tries to fix up there yard by planting any plants.What plants they do have are ate up with fungus diseases or insects.They don't bother to treat there plants with anything at all for these problems.So the fungus diseases and insects spread to my yard.The pindos seem more susceptible to these problems than my other palms.I have several S.palmettos,S.louisianas,Green and silver Med.fan palms,3 different kind of Trachycarpus palms that seem to not be as susceptible to these problems.I've had to spray my green Med.fan palms for black spot on the stems but that's it.There supposed to be a dry climate palm,and they took all the rain in March better than my pindos.I need to find a nursery growing them in a more tempered area.There are no nurserys selling palms here because they cant compete with HD and Lowes on there prices for them.I'm not going to give up on pindos.I just want buy anymore pindos from HD or Lowes.Sorry this is so long,I didn't know how to explain it in a shorter way.
    Randy

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Beauitiful pindo! I love how relaxed the fronds are on it. Mine are much more arched, is it the shade that makes the fronds look so airy or just the genetics (or maybe both)?
    -Alex

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alex, it's pretty much in full sun, most likely the variables in the species plays the biggest part.

• chadec
    12 years ago

Very nice looking palm! Hope mine looks like that one day.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chad, from the looks of your landscape, your specimens are well on the way.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on that! Butias are definitely a very variable species. No 2 ever seem to be the same!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor