Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trachycarpus Martianus hardiness?

Posted by james760 Hesperia,CA-z8b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 19:23

i thinking about planting 3 out in the next week or so but am can of skeptical cuz there rated to a zone 9a the coldest.
does anyone have these growing in a 8b-9a particularly in california. & what is there experience with them? i thinking of planting them in a full morning spot where it will receive about 7-9 hours of sun durning summer & about 4-5 hours of sun durning winter, but durning winter when the sun rises it will hit the Martianus really early!
anybodys experience with them please share, i dont want to plant them to have them have no chance what so ever but if the got a pretty good chance all go for it.

james

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trachycarpus Martianus hardiness?

I dont have experience with them, but I hear they may be the least cold hardy of the trachys (and probably not even the most beautiful either although they do look nice!). I've heard of them growing in sheltered zone 9a's in the southeast so Im sure you can grow them by you as well with some protection. Young plants will be especially cold tender though so protect below 25F, maybe even below 30F if that doesnt happen too often.
I hear trachycarpus latisectus might be pretty cold tolerant when older. When young they are zone 8b at best, but they might be 8a, maybe even 7b when really mature (duration of cold must be a huge factor though). They are beautiful trachys though that I plan on trying out some day!
Good luck with the Martianus!
-Alex

o

T.Latisectus and Martianus are pretty similar in hardiness or lack of it...not a problem if it's not to cold there.

It will need a lot of water during the warm season.

I have had Latisectus and Martianus out on the porch in 23F
temps but there is overhead cover-maybe similar results where
you live if frosts are usually not very frosty-low humidity.

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

thanks guys, i might try them out but maybe build a top shelter thing to protect it against frost then. are frost days can get pretty bad, worst lasting 8-10 hours averaging 70-80% humidity durning are frost , but normally it warms up pretty quick so frost dont last to to long. although we do get about 40-60+ below freezing nights durning winter so i have to be careful what a try,thanks again
james

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here