Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregplantaine7

Will palm flower

gregplantaine7
11 years ago

Do you think there is a chance that this Sabal minor palm will develop an inflorescence this year?
I planted it last year.

Comments (14)

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Looks a bit small for inflo. Leaves usually are bigger and more developed when they bloom. It probably need another year or two to establish in its garden spot.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

There's always a chance since they kind of do what they want, but I think it may be a little too young for an inflo still. I planted mine in May 2009 and it bloomed for the first time in May 2011. It didn't bloom last summer so it's not at an age yet where it blooms consistently. Mine is around 5 feet tall.
    Good luck, it looks great so when it does bloom you should get lots of seeds.
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Looks a bit small for inflo. Leaves usually are bigger and more developed when they bloom. It probably need another year or two to establish in its garden spot.

• gregplantaine7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If there is not a chance it will flower, then what are these grey cut shoots?
    They look like old inflorescence bases to me.

• david_
    11 years ago

I do not see any myself. I think it is to young, but I have seen stranger things.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I have 5 Sabal minors that flower and another 5 that don't. The flowering ones are all trunking. One of the non-flowerers is trunking but never flowers. The other 4 are smaller and have never flowered.

Those grey cut shoots don't look like old inflorescences. They seem to be another plant that was there before. Do you know how old the plant was when you planted it? They can get a bit stunted in a pot and it may be older than it looks.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

The "cut shoots" are the tops of the subterranean trunks.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Like Jim said, those are just the tops of the subterranean trunks. All sabals (or at least most) have that (and usually it goes away with old age).
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

When you say "subterranean trunks" do you mean they're the trunks of dead palms that have been exposed? There's nothing like those around any of my plants. I can understand them being remains of dead plants but wouldn't have thought palms. Just some plants that put out roots above ground level.

• jfacendola
    11 years ago

They are tops of your actual plants. Sabal palm seedlings develop in this "saxaphone" shape, check out the link for a better explination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saxaphone Axis Growth

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

If that link doesn't make it clear......( ;

• dcleaves
    11 years ago

Excellent info on the subterranean trunks. I have 2 Sabal Palmettos that I started from seeds about 2 years ago, and I was just starting to notice the emergence of the trunks. I wasn't sure what was going on there. Thanks for the posting.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Thanks for that link, had no idea about that. None of mine have any sign of that sort of a structure. I checked them all (I have 11, found another one). They were planted by the previous owner here, probably he put them in deep and covered it up.

• gregplantaine7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There were three in the same pot that I bought so I do not know how old each of them could be if they were stunted in the pot. The oldest could be 5-7(8) years old since it has at least 15 leaflets.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz