Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will palm flower

Posted by gregplantaine7 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 19:35

Do you think there is a chance that this Sabal minor palm will develop an inflorescence this year?
I planted it last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will palm flower

Looks a bit small for inflo. Leaves usually are bigger and more developed when they bloom. It probably need another year or two to establish in its garden spot.

o

There's always a chance since they kind of do what they want, but I think it may be a little too young for an inflo still. I planted mine in May 2009 and it bloomed for the first time in May 2011. It didn't bloom last summer so it's not at an age yet where it blooms consistently. Mine is around 5 feet tall.
Good luck, it looks great so when it does bloom you should get lots of seeds.
-Alex

o

Looks a bit small for inflo. Leaves usually are bigger and more developed when they bloom. It probably need another year or two to establish in its garden spot.

o

If there is not a chance it will flower, then what are these grey cut shoots?
They look like old inflorescence bases to me.

o

I do not see any myself. I think it is to young, but I have seen stranger things.

o

I have 5 Sabal minors that flower and another 5 that don't. The flowering ones are all trunking. One of the non-flowerers is trunking but never flowers. The other 4 are smaller and have never flowered.

Those grey cut shoots don't look like old inflorescences. They seem to be another plant that was there before. Do you know how old the plant was when you planted it? They can get a bit stunted in a pot and it may be older than it looks.

o

The "cut shoots" are the tops of the subterranean trunks.

o

Like Jim said, those are just the tops of the subterranean trunks. All sabals (or at least most) have that (and usually it goes away with old age).
-Alex

o

When you say "subterranean trunks" do you mean they're the trunks of dead palms that have been exposed? There's nothing like those around any of my plants. I can understand them being remains of dead plants but wouldn't have thought palms. Just some plants that put out roots above ground level.

o

They are tops of your actual plants. Sabal palm seedlings develop in this "saxaphone" shape, check out the link for a better explination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saxaphone Axis Growth

o

If that link doesn't make it clear......( ;

o

Excellent info on the subterranean trunks. I have 2 Sabal Palmettos that I started from seeds about 2 years ago, and I was just starting to notice the emergence of the trunks. I wasn't sure what was going on there. Thanks for the posting.

o

Thanks for that link, had no idea about that. None of mine have any sign of that sort of a structure. I checked them all (I have 11, found another one). They were planted by the previous owner here, probably he put them in deep and covered it up.

o

There were three in the same pot that I bought so I do not know how old each of them could be if they were stunted in the pot. The oldest could be 5-7(8) years old since it has at least 15 leaflets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here