Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicago_palm

Whats going on with the Pindo Palm

chicago_palm
14 years ago

Can anyone tell me whats going on with my Butia? I brought it outside today and its fronds are turning brown at the axis of the leaf and the fronds are falling off.

Comments (19)

• statenislandpalm7a
    14 years ago

it looks like they were broken maybe wind

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

The wind is the only thing I can think of that would do that. Is this happening to all your fronds, just one or 2, just the new ones, or jsut the old ones. If its only happening to your new ones then it is probably a combo of weak indoor grown fronds and wind. If its the old ones I have no idea, and if its one random frond, maybe the wind is stonger by that one.

Good luck, I hope it survives!

• User
    14 years ago

That doesn't look like wind damage to me. At first I thought maybe sun damage--(?) (You need to protect palms from outside direct sun until they become acclimated--it may take a week or two.) But the pattern of damage is not so even. Could it perhaps be fertilizer burn or insect damage (maybe slugs). Keep an eye on it but I bet it will outgrow whatever it is that is bothering it. I notice that you have the palm in a double container--be sure it drains as accumulated water will cause damage.--Good luck!

• chicago_palm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. I bought in early February on ebay. It arrived in a good condition and has been inside in a sunny window since. It hasn't been outside exposed to the wind. ItÂs only the newest fronds. The spear emerging is brown on the tips also. We will see what happens. It does have some white scales/bugs on some of the other fronds which I am removing with alcohol and a swap when I see them. I donÂt see any slugs and hasnÂt been too wet or over fertilized. I guess time will tell!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I hope it works out. Make sure to get rid of those bugs because they might be the problem. For me, plants rarely die in the summer, so if you get it to live to then, the summer might take care of the rest.

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

It looks like a burn of some sort?

As long as the other fronds do not have it, I would let it just grow out over time.

• chicago_palm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted my Pindo in the ground and as mentioned in an earlier post, summer has took care of the rest. Its pushing up new fronds now.

Only my second year at this and the yards becoming more tropical.

My newly expanded section above and the original section of the yard below! Thanks for the earlier advice.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

Looking good! How are you going to protect it this winter? I have one as well and am mulling different options.

• andyandy
    13 years ago

I think mine did the same thing last spring. I believe it was because I had it out on cool damp conditions (like a little rot set in as it could not grow in those conditions and had water in the spear). As it finally warmed up (last Freaking August) the brown part pushed away from the spear and has become an afterthought with all of the growth that has pushed out this MUCH warmer spring/summer.

• chicago_palm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since, It goes subzero here in Chicago. I will use protection similar to this previous GardenWeb link. This design worked well to protect my Trachycarpus last winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Winter Protection

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Im glad it recovered for you and I hope it makes it in the winter!! The protection you showed in the link is a great one so I think it will do fine if all goes well. Keep us updated! Good luck!
    -Alex

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

Hello, I'm completely new to this, but I have a Pindo as well and the leaf tips are turning brown . Close to the tips it's getting little brown spots that have darker brown spots in the center. The spear grows about 3/4 of an inch a day. I'm hoping these brown spot don't keep advancing down the leaves. If anybody has any ideas I would sure appreciate the help. It is growing in full sun and I just planted it in the beginning of may. It has grown 2 new fronds as well. Thank you very much.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Your brown spots on your pindo sound like inconsistent watering. Most palms usually will outgrow those fronds, and it usually happens to the oldest fronds.

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

Hello, I'm completely new to this, but I have a Pindo as well and the leaf tips are turning brown . Close to the tips it's getting little brown spots that have darker brown spots in the center. The spear grows about 3/4 of an inch a day. I'm hoping these brown spot don't keep advancing down the leaves. If anybody has any ideas I would sure appreciate the help. It is growing in full sun and I just planted it in the beginning of may. It has grown 2 new fronds as well. Thank you very much.

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

Thank you Islandbreeze! I was getting a little concerned. Most of it is happening on the new fronds though. The leaf tips are still dying while in the spear. I watered it this morning really well. Is once a week ok? I also plan on building an insulated box over it this winter that I can keep warm when it gets really cold. I sure hope it makes it! It is a really cool palm.

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

Thank you Islandbreeze! I was getting a little concerned. Most of it is happening on the new fronds though. The leaf tips are still dying while in the spear. I watered it this morning really well. Is once a week ok? I also plan on building an insulated box over it this winter that I can keep warm when it gets really cold. I sure hope it makes it! It is a really cool palm.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

If you can post a picture, you can probably get a pretty accurate diagnosis as to what is going on with it.

Watering all depends on your weather. We've been very hot and dry here, so I will usually water once every other day.

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago