Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec

Pics from Biltmore House and my house

chadec
12 years ago

Spent Easter in Asheville, N.C. and they had some wonderful plants. Several potted palms inside among other things.

I imagine someone is in these mountains now getting ready to film the sequel to the Hunger Games.

After seeing the wisteria tree I had to go out and buy a vine. Now lets see how long it takes to train it to standard.

I have 2 minors in bloom. I did not have any luck with seed last year so if anyone wants to try let me know.

My silver med. fan. looks to be one of my favorites.

{{gwi:535321}}

M. lasiocarpa is putting off pups. Was really hoping for a bloom.

{{gwi:1132276}}

My burg.(Angel trumpet) is not coming back as quick as I would like. Hope it is ok.

Front yard is already starting to fill in.

Thanks for looking,

Comments (10)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

My A-trumpets ate **** over the winter and dried up )-:

Your yard looks awesome-I really love C.Cerifera!

What is the big Agave next to it?

I know you have mentioned it before...I assumed it was A.Havardiana.

Click for weather forecast

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Biltmore is amazing. Visited there in November for the first time. I didn't realize how much land they still have, that preserves the sweeping views of the mountains and pretty much nothing else. Wouldn't we all like to have a greenhouse like that?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

I love Asheville....

Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

The Biltmore Estate is one of the most beautiful areas around to visit. The winery is a fun tour as well.. Stayed there for a while.. : )

Love your yard!!! Nice Pics!!!

Take Care,

Laura

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim- the large agave next to the C. Cerifera is A. Ovitafolia.

Wetsuiter I would love to have greenhouse period! Imagine what our yards would look like with one that size.

Laura- I only have yearly day passes cause we like to go so much. But I have been wanting to stay at the Inn for some time. Its just a beautiful place to visit.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Your yard looks great! Im sure your brug will come back, sometimes they are a little slow to start and sometimes they stay growing slow, I guess you never really know what will happen with plants! Everything looks like it is doing great in your yard, the lasiocarpa should be really nice by the end of the summer and the fact that it's puping might be a sign that it has plans for blooms this summer!
    The Biltmore house has some beautiful plants. I think my favorite is the Foxtail! Although Im really impressed by the Licuala, it looks very healthy and happy!
    Im sure the mountains of NC are seeing a lot more tourism now from fans of the Hunger Games. I hear the second one is coming out in the fall so they are probably working on it!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alex- I hope my brug comes through. If not I will know to plant them close to the house like everyone else! Biltmore had some amazing palms, but I couldn't get very good photos of them all. It was too dark in some places and some of their palms where really tall. Like the 20' Madagascar behind the cycad in the first pic.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I saw the Madagascar palm! What a beauty and it's in bloom too. I guess you have to go there to really get to see all the nice plants!
    -Alex

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stopped by a friends house this weekend and took a few pics while I was there. Their gardens are more old country and shade. But they have a windmill palm and the yucca's are the mother plants to mine.

If my yuccas ever get that tall I will be really happy!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Wow

If that is an Aloifolia,then it is the tallest one I have ever seen.

Surprising because they usually fall over before they get that big.

Click for weather forecast

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim, I haven't seen that yucca in two years and it has put on 4' and grew another head! You can see the white spot were my curved yucca broke off.