Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prinbama

My New Filibusta

prinbama
10 years ago

Today in the Mail i received my new Filibustas. I ordered only 2 but they shipped me 3 so Yay for me :-). I have one in the pot so far and here she is.

As for the other 2, i'll probably put one in the ground and the other in a large pot i'll do that this weekend (gives me something to do).

Comments (12)

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    10 years ago

Hi. Good Luck growing those out. I wonder what a filibusta looks like. Here in my town, there are robusta and filifera growing but I haven't seen any trees that look like it has traits of both. The only odd thing I see is that some of the robustas retain their bootjacks so their trunks look thicker. Could those trees be filibustas?

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Looking nice! Keep us updated. I have never had much luck with Washys as potted plants (never tried them in the ground), but if I ever saw one again at a decent price, I would definitely give them another try.
    -Alex

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks y'all. I think the filibustas will do much better here then the robust. It can handle wet weather better and its a bit more hardy then the robust. I got 2 for just 30 bucks and they added an extra one. It was a pretty good deal I couldn't turn down. I'll keep y'all posted as they start growing.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

care to share where it came from I'm always up for ordering from people sending free palms lol

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just search up washingtonia filibusta on eBay and there's a seller there selling them mike.

• ericthehurdler
    10 years ago

Here are some of the most famous filibustas at Willie Mays plaza. Notice how much thicker and columnar they are compared to regular robusta.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I though filibustas had a much thicker trunk then that. More like the filifera

• ericthehurdler
    10 years ago

They are not as thick as filifera and definitely much fatter than robusta. The landscape architects specifically ordered Washingtonia hybrids(filibusta) for this design due to its hardiness and growth habit.

• wetsuiter
    10 years ago

I got three from a friend's garden in San Diego. She called them "weeds". One woman's trash is another's treasure!

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    10 years ago

Hi. I went shopping this morning and I noticed many robusta palms that had very skinny trunks. I also saw many with thicker trunks and also massive filiferas. I guess the thing to keep in mind is how thin the trunks are on robustas when I see a filibusta. There are many filibustas around this area it seems. I wonder how much cross pollination occurs in Washingtonia though, since the flowers of both sexes are produced on the same tree.

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

In my experience with small filibustas, they look very much like robusta but more hair. There are traits that resemble filifera if you know what to look for. They have red trunks like robusta.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very true but the teeth are different color (orange I believe).

This post was edited by prinbama on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 6:46

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator