Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Fertilzing my new palms?

us_marine
10 years ago

The weather over here in the west as been very warm. Much above average, reaching into the 90fs! Feels nice since last two years it took a long time to warm up.

I've recently planted a King palm in the ground. Its been in the ground over ten days now and the spear shows signs of growth. Almost a quater inch or so a day now, maybe less. I'm wondering when should I start to fertilize? I'd like to take advantage of this warmth if possible since this palm is marginal. But If it will burn the fronds then I'll wait.

I also have a small coconut palm in a tiny container. It needs to be repotted but since its still rather new I dont want to overwhelm it with too much: new growing conditions and fertilizer on top of it since it needs it as well. I've noticed on the newest frond it is starting to get small yellow/orange spots, or necrotic spotting and is a lighter green color than the other fronds. In other words it has a potassium deficiency. I have a palm fertilizer that should fix that. Should I apply?
And repotting in better soil wont happen until its used to its new growing conditions. So far no sun burn but I have been keeping it in the shade and filtered light a lot. Although it does get full sun at times for over an hour. For the most part it appears healthy and has dark fronds for being a Golden Malayan. I'd love to keep them that dark and healthy as that means the plant is very happy and strong.

Thanks,
-US_Marine

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus