Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hfactor23

New palms arrived today

hfactor23
11 years ago

Hi everyone. New to the forum although I have been reading awhile. Just thought I would go ahead and add my new purchases. I got 3 windmills, 2 sabal minors, and a sabal Birmingham form chilly palms. Caught him on his east coast run. Great guy, great prices, great knowledge. Hope I do these palms justice....

First pic is of the Birmingham

Comments (14)

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the three windmills......

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the whole gang....

• chicago_palm
    11 years ago

Nice looking Palms. What size are the different varieties? I am interested in purchasing some form him.

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The windmills and the sabal Birmingham are 7 gallons. The sabal minors are 3 gallons

• Robert Howard
    11 years ago

Hey, I do believe i was Sean's stop right after yours. I was very happy with my trachys. I'm sure you saw them on the truck. Good luck with your palms

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah I believe so. Yours were a bit bigger than mine I believe. Looked real good. Best of luck to you as well. I'm quite nervous of overwatering/underwatering. But what can you do. It is funny though after reading through a lot of these posts I do get the attachment ppl feel for these beauties

• steve_nj
    11 years ago

Trachys and birminghams need to be on a South or Southeast-facing wall to do well. Birminghams need a lot of heat and are less hardy than minors when young. Here's a birmingham in Trenton.

Do you have any needle palms?
    Here are needles in Willingboro.

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I do not have any needle palms. Just the 3 windmills, 2 minors n the Birmingham. All of them should have a good deal of sun all day. The 2 minors will probably have the least amount of sun out of them all which will be about 2 hours less as they will be hit with the shadows first but I think they should all be ok. They have been in the ground for about a week so far. No browning, spear pulls all checked out but we shall see. Still very early

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Great looking palms! They all look really healthy and ready to grow fast. Keep us updated! I've always wanted to try a Sabal Birmingham.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• miketropic
    10 years ago

my bham is doing well..it was from a private sale in a 3 gallon..the new spear is strange..it is almost pushed all the way out the 2 middle fronds are brown..the outside 2 and floppy and the rest are thin..but the whole plant seems thin to me next to my cape hatt. IDK we will see what they do with some heat. nice pick ups there

This post was edited by miketropic on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 18:36

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok we'll I guess I have my first problem. Got a lot of rain the last two days and the newish spear on the windmill came out looking like that. Again, these are my first real in the ground palms so is this normal, or something I need to take action on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The 5 others I have show no problems and look great

• wetsuiter
    10 years ago

Just cold damage. It looks like the rest of the frond is green and growing. It should be fine. This one frond will likely colapse under itsownweight and you'll want to cut it off, unless the stem is green and feeding the plant. oYou may find the next one, two or even three fronds have lessening degrees of damage that appears as an off-colored arc across the fan.

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info and quick reply

• hfactor23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I have added 2 tropicanna blacks and 2 small mondo grass plantings to my set up with the 2 windmills and the bham. Now I just want to try and figure out the landscape aspect. Don't wanna use block like my other planters. Wanna keep it more natural looking. Anyone have ideas or photos to share?