Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sylvester Palm Landscaping

Posted by kelela411 z9florida (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 21:48

I am new to the beautiful sunny Central Gulf Coast Florida area. I am interested in any ideas of what plants to put under a recently planted Sylvester (phoenix Sylvestris) Palm Tree in the center of my front yard surrounded by a circular driveway. Hoping to plant something colorful, drought tolerant, and easy to maintain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sylvester Palm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sylvester Palm Landscaping

Nice palm, I would surround it with some lirope, cycads and your favorite agave!

o

I would plant some aloe as they are useful plants to have if someone gets a burn and also look interesting while in bloom. I like plumerias but they grow like a tree, you could always hack it down. They have flowers that are awesome and many smell heavenly!

T.J.

o

I agree with T.J. I planted aloe(real fast growing) and some cactus, looks great and low maintainance. http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/wellsme/019.jpg http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/wellsme/016.jpg

o

I think some ginger (especially variegated shell ginger) would look fantastic. Philodendrons are a great idea with some bananas (especially dwarf cavendish bananas which wont get too huge). Some ferns would be great as ground covers and Gardenias would be a nice thing to add as well. If your going to plant cycads, try not to go for a sago palm. As much as I like them, I think they are really overused and Dioons usually have a much nicer color to them (usually a bluish color). Some clumps of rhapis, cat palms, and/or arecas would look great underneath your date palm as well. And some smaller heliconias would be great too. Most of the plants I mentioned can easily handle a light freeze so they should be great for a zone 9. But if your willing to have some plants as annuals or experiment with them in hopes for a mild winter, then you can also try a ti plant, croton, hibiscus, peace lilies (only if you manage to create full shade), and many others. They are cheap enough to replace every year, but as long as you dont get another cold winter for a while, they would actually be pretty long term survivors if your by the water in Tampa and south to Naples or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here