Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spataro51

Washingtonia palm surgery..... Will it make it?

spataro51
10 years ago

I had to do some surgery to my Washingtonia this afternoon. I had to cut about 3-4 inches to find some green. It caught cold damage because 3 of the 5 light bulbs I was using for heat ended up burning out during the winter. Do u guys think it will make it? I did pour some peroxide and copper fungicide down the center before and after surgery.( I think I can only post 1 pic at a time since I am doing this from my phone so I will upload more under the same topic as a response)

Comments (22)

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok and here is another pic

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is a pic before surgery after I trimmed all the dead fronds off

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And last but not least a pic of what it looked like at the end of summer. Hopefully this guy will make it. I have had it in the ground for over 3 years maybe 4.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Hard to say for sure, it looks like it was really well established so it might have enough life left in it to recover. Definitely keep us updated on it's progress. If it's alive, it should start growing back in a few weeks!
    -Alex

• earthworm73
    10 years ago

I think it has a very good chance to make it. I had to trunk cut a trachy that was a helluva lot smaller than you washy last winter. And it during it's first winter in ground after a late in the season planting.

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am hoping. I think it still is alive in the center because part of it is green. But who knows tho. Good thing is if it is gonna make it, they grow so dang fast lol

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

It looks fine,you may want to keep that spear area dry during any rainfall though.

If we get some heat this weekend and early next week it should pop out of there pretty fast!

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I will cover it with a clear plastic bag. this way the heat can still build up in there and still get some sunshine all while staying dry.

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

Some extra heat will definitely help - a clear bag will warm up the plant nicely during the day but night-time warmth is what will really do the trick.

x

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

A palm(Washy that size)should start growing pretty quick if it is otherwise healthy,even in this cool ugly spring we are having mine has tossed up a few nice fans and is trying to get them open(-:

BTW
    You'd be better off with a bucket or rose cone,a bag will heat up and trap moisture which just happens to be the formula for fungal growth ......
    just cover it when it is going to rain and take it off when it stops,you want maximum air and light to it....with any luck it will bust out over this weekend and next week if you temps are going to be as warm as they are predicting here,once the spear lifts out of there you should be out of danger,just watch later this week if it get cold and rainy again Ike they are saying....

Good luck!

• earthworm73
    10 years ago

Yeah Jim knows what he is talking about he coached me through my trachy surgery.
    Went from this

To this in one season

So it went from no foliage to about 9 fronds in one season. Not bad considering it was technically it it's "sleep" phase because it planted it in September of the previous year.

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

That is a monster recovery!

Praise should go to the palm there! (-;

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that really took off. It didn't look like it was gonna make it from the first pic. Hopefully mine will start to show some life soon

• earthworm73
    10 years ago

Jim remember when I was posting pics of my surgery and I kept asking for your opinion? If it wasn't for you I would have tossed it thinking it was toast. You were definitely my mentor in the palm surgery category. I had no clue you could do that to a palm and still have success.

spataro here is another pic of the palm after the Christmas lights fiasco. Keep in mind that you washy has way more energy stored in that trunk then my little trachy did after the surgery.

Click for weather forecast

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sure hope so. Gonna be upper 70's this week with low 80's on tues with sun. Hopefully I will see some movement

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Can't tell how deep your much is but- another thing you can do if it is very deep is-pull it back so the sun can hit the soil and warm it up!

My 4" soil temp was 61F yesterday evening and 55F this morning,you can really see a difference in the Trachys as more nutrients become available as the roots are finally,fully open for business!

r

• spataro51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I see a little movement. Got home from work last evening and it looks like it is starting to move...... Not that much but supposed to be 82 and sunny today and tomorrow. So hopefully I will know for sure.

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Sounds good...

• _JAKE_
    10 years ago

Does anybody know what kind of temperatures bring back mexican fan palms? Mine got some pretty severe cold damage! What kind of daytime Highs and night time lows will wake my palm back up??

• prinbama
    10 years ago

Jake

When I uncovered my robusta, temps were mid to low 60's. Seeing your in a zone 5-6 it may take a little longer for your temps to reach 60 and above.

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

50s/70s should get you some growth,sometimes it takes 80s though.

Larger/healthy palms respond faster.....soil temp is what really counts at first....once the soil temp is over 60f you usually see the whole plant growing and a nice green leaf color.

• prinbama
    10 years ago

Yeah what Jim said too. Lol

This post was edited by prinbama on Mon, May 6, 13 at 12:15

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone