Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svenoaks

Where do I find a palm fertilizer like this?

svenoaks
11 years ago

I have a few coconut, california fan palms and a couple palms I have not yet identified (as well as a few Areca palms I have newly planted) that I have inherited at my south Florida house. Some appear in trouble and I would like to keep them fertilized and alive.

I just applied cheap palm fertilizer from home depot but it appears its not the ideal fertilizer for south Florida. I will wait three monthes and then hopefully apply a better fertilizer.

Problem is I can't find anything even close to what is recommended. The onlyslow release potassium I can find after an hour of web searching only has a small amount of the potassium in slow release form.

Where do I find a fertilizer like the below:???

"The best palm special fertilizers have evolved in light of new recommendations from palm nutrition expert Dr. Timothy Broschat of the University of Florida. They have been improved based on extensive testing in the South Florida landscape. Here is what your fertilizer needs to be effective:

1.Look for formula 8-4-12 fertilizer, or as close to this nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K) ratio as possible. In addition check for Magnesium. Total Magnesium (as Mg) should be close to or equal 4% when included in the 8-4-12 formula.

2.Both N and K should be in a 100% controlled release form. K deficiency is the most common palm nutrient deficiency in South Florida, due to the high solubility of this element and poor nutrient holding capacity of the soils. The higher level of K now recommended, along with the 100% controlled release form, can help prevent K deficiency. The controlled release form also helps prevent groundwater contamination from rapid leaching of K through our soils.

3.Micronutrients should be in sulfate form. The oxide form of some fertilizers use renders these nutrients unavailable in our alkaline soils. On the label, under "derived from" or "nutrient sources" look for: iron sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, or zinc sulfate.

"

Comments (2)

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I like this stuff

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl Pool

• coconut_palm
    11 years ago

I have studied coconut and other palms for many years, and have switched over to all ORGANIC fertilizers with really good results. I disagree with this professor. I still think that palms need a 12-4-8 or 6-2-4 ratio fertilizer with the essential micronutrients. Since palms are primarily grown for their foliage, a fertilizer higher in nitrogen is better for palms.

You should first apply some good organic compost and mulch to the area around your palms' root zones. Apply it about about an inch and a half thick and work it in to the soil a little bit with a rake with a firm metal head on it for raking soil. Be careful not to hurt any of your palms' roots close to the soil surface, and don't apply the compost and mulch right up against the base of the trunks (leave about 4 inches of space from the edge of the trunks to where you start applying the compost and mulch).

Then apply a good organic fertilizer in the 12-4-8 or 6-2-4 ratio with the essential micronutrients. This should be applied in late February, late June, and late October. Water it in really good, and like with the compost and mulch, don't apply it right up against the trunk. I have found a really good organic fertilzer in the 6-2-4 ratio with 70 micronutrients that is produced in Houston. It is called MicroLife Multi Purpose and it is produced by San Jacinto Environmental Supplies 2221 west 34th St., Houston, TX 77018 (713) 957-0909 www.sanjacsupply.com I have just started using it with great results so far, and it comes highly recommended. There currently are no suppliers carrying it in Florida, but if they are not able to send it to you, let me know. I can pick up a 7lb. jug or two for you and ship them to you fpr the cost of the fertilizer and shipping.

Also, I apply Medina Hasta Gro Lawn as a foliar spray. It is a 12-4-8 ratio all organic fertilizer with 5 essential micronutrients. As I recall, it is one ounce per gallon of water, unless you use the hose end sprayer version. You can check their website and email them or call them to verify this. For the potassium deficiency, I use Soil Mender's Liquid Seaweed 0-0-1 ratio. I used it on a Mexican Tall coconut palm that I sprouted that had a severe potassium deficiency and it recovered quickly. Use one ounce of this per gallon of water.

John
    mr.coconutpalm@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus