Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

My new alternatives for a tropical coconut palm tree

bananafan
9 years ago

I've finally been able to get two coconut tree alternatives. Both of them are cold hardy varieties that will grow in my area and the best part of it is that they will produce coconut tasting fruit albeit in golf ball sizes ... lol. This idea of fruiting sounded strange to me at first, but I like that they are cold hardy so I'm expecting them to live and not die on me like the few coconut trees that died on me in the past years. I'm now ready to try something new.

The first one is the Bolivian mountain coconut tree and this tree will grow big, but it will take a long time to fruit. That is ok with me. If I want to eat fresh coconuts, I'll have plenty of access to them anyway. I'm just curious to see how it will grow. Here's a picture of it (the one on the right). On the left is the mini coconut tree.

Comments (15)

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my new mini coconut tree. It will reach 5-6 ft in height when mature and I know it will also take many years to fruit, but not as many as the Bolivian mountain coconut tree. It's also a cold hardy variety that does not need full sun and will actually do better in a shady area. This is something nice for me as I'm fast running out of sunny spots to plant :)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Nice choice finds. Where did you pick those up? I've seen both at the Oakland Palmetum. The Bolivian towers at 30' and about that age too.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

stanofh,

I searched in on e-bay and they were all there--different sizes and prices. I picked the least expensive ones.

The trunk surface isn't as smooth and even as the trunk of a regular coconut tree and the fronds appear to be really huge and bushy

According to the link below, it's a threatened specie. It sounds like a nice palm to have especially for us coconut palm tree lovers ... lol. I do hope more people will grow it so it won't go extinct soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parajubaea_torallyi

Here are some nice pictures I downloaded from the net. I hope they're not copy righted (didn't see any warnings on the pictures, so must be ok).

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture here showing the fronds spreading along the trunk which is why the crown appears to be very bushy and the trunk isn't as smooth. It's possible to get a good shade out of it though.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a humongous tree here. It looks like it's over 30 ft to the tip of the highest frond. I wonder how old this tree is.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This picture must have been taken in its natural habitat of mountainous area, hence its name.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The group effect ... wow they can get that tall!

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

I purchased young one from a local nursery for $10 and it didn't make it through the winter this year. We had a colder than usual week that really damaged frost tender plants. Maybe i'll give it a try another time when I have more of a canopy to protect it during it's early years.

9 years ago

If I saw them for 10$ in pots with soil,I would have bought them all and planted a row of them.
    The one time they were for sale I saw was a 5 gal,at $100. Looked great. Deep green and shiny. Having a gopher problem makes me pass on expensive plants. I grew a Rhapsis for years on my porch,planted it out ..and it wasn't long before they got that too. Its a few canes with tiny fronds now.

• chadec
    9 years ago

Nice palm, seriously thought of buying one from palmwholesale on ebay. But all I need is another palm to protect and the Bolivian coconut would require a heat source too.

9 years ago

Btw, Howea and King palms seem to be ignored by Gophers. Pass that around the internet.

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

Where did you get the mini coconut tree?

• siegel2
    9 years ago

Jeff has some huge $8 one gallon mini coconut palm trees
    (Lytocaryum weddellianum)
    http://www.floribundapalms.com/pdf/flori_1404.pdf

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll check it out! Sounds like a good price.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Veggie girl, I bought mine from e-bay, but the price isn't as good as the source Cagary provided here. At $8 for a gallon plant is incredibly good deal. I wonder how much the shipping would work out to though. Even then, the price is much better than the $30 I paid (shipping not included).

I think I might get another one from that supplier also.

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia