Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly planted Coconut Palms Dying? Or lethal yellowing? Panic!

Posted by gsracer Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 22:59

Hello, Im located in Miami, Florida.

Just planted these palms on the 6th of april. They are malaysian dwarf palms. As of today there is one palm that is yellowing and browning on the lower fronds. Is it sick or am I doing something wrong.

Also noticed around the base where the fronds meet the trunk it has gone from bright green to yellow brown with dark spots.

I watered daily for the first 7 days and since then I have been watering 3 times a week of of a sprinkler well pump.

Pictures.

April 6th.
Affected palm is third from the right.

photo IMG_5145_zps19e0ddbb.jpg

As of today.
Second from right in this pic, all others are doing fine apparently.

photo IMG_5248_zps6c9c562a.jpg

more close ups of affected palm.

photo IMG_5262_zpsb6b2d398.jpg

photo IMG_5264_zps860ff0a8.jpg

This post was edited by gsracer on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 0:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly planted Coconut Palms Dying? Or lethal yellowing? Panic

Hi
relax !! lol looks like just a bit of transplant shock. old fronds die lol They'll be busy trunking at that size and give them some time. I'd ease up a bit on the water particularly with the rainy season. In a couple of years you'll be hawking nuts on the street lol gary

o

What nursery did you pic them up at? Also if u don't mind me asking what size and how much were they?

o

picked them up at one of the growers in homestead which i know is ground zero for lethal yellowing.

most have about 2 feet of trunk and over all are about 8-10 ft tall, they where 55.00 each.

o

Those are beautiful! But yeah, it's just transplant shock. Nothing to be worried about.

o

Gsracer,

I love your coconut trees against the pretty wood fence. The landscaping you've made along the fence looks neat and nice too.

I'm a little colder here for coconuts, but still I'm not giving it up yet. I bought one from Home Depot, but it's about 5ft or so .. no trunk yet. I'd like to get a bigger one with trunk to start planting this growing season. If you don't mind, could you provide the name of the seller in Homestead so I can look them up. I'd greatly appreciate it.

You certainly can look forward to having lots of coconuts soon. In the mean time, I hope you'll feed them with whatever nutrients they need to help them grow quick and fast in order to reach maturity and fruit production stage. Have fun with your cocos!

o

Banana fan if you live below Ft Pierce or Sarasota you have a chance for long term survival. Anywhere above that is a big gamble.To have a better luck you need to be closer to Ft Myers on the west coast or below Palm Beach on the east. They just don't do well if you have temps below freezing even for a short time. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here