Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trachycarpus Fortunei alive but brown???

Posted by tropicpalms VA BCH 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 23:03

I think this question was recentally brought up within the last 3 months but i couldnt find it... Anyways, My Trachycarpus Fortunei - Chusan/ Chinese Windmill Palm had pushed out 2 new leaves this spring and both have been totally brown dead but 100% secure, no spear pull...I was wondering why this was? recentally treated it with epsom salt. I hope it will get green again... Is is some kind of like Boron defficency? Hopefully someone can help! Thanks again -Justin in VB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trachycarpus Fortunei alive but brown???

I think it is a deficency. Do you have a pic of it? I dont think it could be the cold since mine saw colder than yours (most likely) and had no damage, and they usually handle down to 15F with no damage. Are they 100% brown? If its still sending up leaves it must be alive, but Im not sure what it could be (but I think Ive heard of it before). The Epsom salt should help them green up, they worked well for mine and add magnesium to the soil. I would also look for some plant food.

Good luck, I hope it gets better!

o

may I also add that no it did not get severe cold damage... it's leaves on the outsides (not the newest fronds) are very healthy and green. I also think its a diffency and ill have to try to fix it and i hope i can! thanks for the help tropicalzone i have never seen this in a palm! talk soon -Justin in VB

o

Im trying to remember if this happened to my palm before it died last fall around september (way before even a frost arrived). I looked up some things on this and one possiblilty might be bugs such as mealy bugs. Could be a probelm with the soil like lack of drianage, or lack of nutrients. Also any bugs or animals that you know of that dig in the soil by you can have the potential to damage plants? That can also be the probelm.
I hope it gets better.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

I recall someone here had some sort of problem like that but did not realize winter damage and old leaves (may be trimmed off)do that and his palm was actually fine. Its best to post a photo so folks can give you the best advise.

As long as its sending out new shoots she survived well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here