Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Large potted sago possible rot

islandbreeze
11 years ago

I think my big sago has caudex rot. The leaf bases are loose, but the leaves are still green. Does anybody have any remedies for this?

Never dealt with this before, but I'm thinking about cutting all of the leaves off and treating with peroxide and fungicide. I really don't want to lose this plant. I've been growing it for probably 10 years.

Comments (12)

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

caudex soft or discolored? If not, probably not rotting.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any idea what else would cause the leaf bases at the caudex to become loose? You can see white inner tissue where it looks like the leaves are ripping away, but doesn't seem soft or discolored.

I did have the leaves tied up while overwintering in the garage. Could that have caused the bases to rip away? Do I need to put anything on the open inner tissue to make it heal?

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some pics...at the leaf bases you can see the fleshy whitish trunk. Iam wondering if it's about to send out a cone flower or something. The leaves bend upward like they're on hinges...

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A shot of the growing point and leaf bases

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anothef

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I usually don't do this, but I have to bump this one up. Need to make sure this plant doesn't die.

• mimalf
    11 years ago

Islandbreeze, you can also try with your question here:
    http://cycadfriends.co.za/index.php

It's a cycad-specific forum. Maybe someone there could help.

Here is a link that might be useful: CycadFriends

• xerophyte NYC
    11 years ago

If there is really rot at the caudex, you will be able to easily push through the tissue in between the leaves with something thin and sharp like a knife.

Leaves bending at the hinges can also be a sign of dehydration, or physical damage like heavy snow, or maybe even what you did with tie-ing them.

If the caudex is rotting, the leaves will also pull out when you tug at them. From your photos, it looks fine. The only time I have ever experienced apical rot in a cycad is if leaves die back from a frost and the base of the leaf rots because it was not removed quickly enough.

Give your plant a good soak, I bet it's just thirsty from being dry all winter.

x

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks X, will do

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a followup and recognition and thanks to Xerophyte, turns out all my sago needed was a good watering. It perked right up. I've never seen or had a sago that showed signs of drought stress, so I was afraid it was rotting and didn't water it, doing the complete opposite of what it needed.

It's measuring almost 5 feet across now, so it's gonna be a real monster with this year's flush.

Thanks again X

• xerophyte NYC
    11 years ago

Glad to be of help!

As it warms in the coming weeks, start giving heavy doses of supplemental nitrogen to encourage a new flush. A cup-full of high-N lawn fertilizer will do.

x

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville