Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New pics of large Trachy & Med. Fan Palm, zone 4

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 23:26

My brother has a small herd of bison on the other side of the road from my Trachy. Decided to take a pic with the bison. The Trachy should be in full bloom in a couple of weeks.

Photobucket

This pic is of my oldest outdoor palm, a Mediterranean Fan Palm It's been outside for over 20 years. I planted it outside when it was a 1 gallon potted palm. My son stands beside it. He's 6' tall.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New pics of large Trachy & Med. Fan Palm, zone 4

The Trachy looks awesome and the Med fan palm is probably my favorite! I really like how full and tall it is. Its a really nice specimen in a warm climate, let alone a zone 4!
Thanks for updating! Your palms sailed through another winter!
-Alex

o

Judging by the Trachy shot,you are somewhere in Switzerland...right(-;

Nice!

Find more about Weather in Des Moines, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

Thanks Alex & Jim. Switzerland? I wish our cold mountain valley was as warm as Switzerland! It was 24 degrees Saturday morning. It took out all of my fruit this year, I'm afraid. The apple, pear and plum blossoms got hit hard. It killed all of the new young shoots on my wisteria vines and quite a few of my magnolia trees. Nothing unusual for this cold valley. I've seen frost every month of the year.

o

Never realized how large your Med. fan palm was. And your trachy always looks great with the snow capped mountains in the background. Great work!

o

Wow, just wow! Two BEAUTIFUL palms! I can only imagine the questions you get!

o

Yikes!

24F will **** some **** up 0:

We hit 28F here(23F at the airport north of town) and even some tree leaves were burned,
not to mention my Butterfly bushes which are just sprouting this time of year(usually)...they are already 6'!

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here